Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Young mum

Hi, im 15weeks pregnant and concerned about my rights regarding work.

ive suffered from morning sickness badly for up to 12weeks and was signed off work for 6weeks. Ive returned to work with adapted hours.

however on two occassions ive phone in ill from work with morning sickness but have only needed that day off work. But my work sign me off for about four days as sick when im perfectly fine to return to work the next day. Is this fair? when we have already discussed i only need that day to be abscent.

This is concerning me and its building up a record for me being off sick more times than im actaully needing. when im fit to work. And i dont want this affect my maternity leave and right towards the end of the pregnancy.

Replies

• Largely it comes down to the nature of the job you are doing (it would be more acceptable if you were working in a warehouse than in a desk job).  Your employer is obliged to protect both you & your unborn child from harm & should conduct (if not done already) a risk assessment for you to ensure you are at minimum risk of harm/injury in your job whilst pregnant.

As for it affecting your maternity leave, the only way this would happen is if you were to be off with longterm pregnancy related illness during your final trimester at which point your employer can insist your maternity leave starts when you are 36wks into term.  You will still be entitled to the same amount of maternity leave & maternity pay as long as you have been working for the company for 26wks before baby is born.

Talk to your boss, it may be they are doing what they think is better for you by giving you the extra time off, if you're unhappy let them know.

• Does your boss know you're pregnant? If they do then the four day rule shouldn't apply, this is only in place in food environments and to protect vulnerable persons (childcare/elderly) you know what is causing your sickness and it's not contagious so going to work a couple of hours after you've been sick doesn't pose a risk.

My sickness started to get better at around 15-16 weeks so hopefuly you'll be feeling more like yourself again soon xx