Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Early scan....heartbeat.

Hello ladies, I have an early scan booked tomorrow due to bleeding. I had a early scan with dd at 6w5d and her heartbeat was seen with abdominal ultrasound easy. My question is what's the earliest anyone has had a early scan and picked up a heartbeat on abdominal ultrasound? I want to prepare myself incase I need a vaginal ultrasound or if no heartbeat found. I'm sooooo worried. X

Replies

• Hi. I know this is easier said than done but please don't panic if they don't find a heartbeat tomorrow because it doesn't necessarily mean anything. I have been there myself recently.  

I had an early scan at just over 7 weeks (mine was because of brown spotting) and was told they couldn't find the heartbeat. I was of course absolutely distraught. When  they refused to see me again for another fortnight I went home and booked a private one for a few days later. When I got there the sonographer was very nice and said not to panic if no heartbeat was obvious on the day because everybody is different and for some ladies/ babies it's just too early and there's not necessarily any need for alarm. Anyway I saw bubs and she found his/ her little heartbeat straight away.

Please don't worry yourself too much as I made myself ill with worry after I had my first scan, while I was waiting for my second. I'm hoping to reassure you here rather than scare you here but if your sonographer and nurse aren't very reassuring don't let that get to you either. I have actually complained via my GP about what was said to me and how the situation was handled. Remember, it's very early days and the little heartbeat must be teeny tiny.

If you're not satisfied with the result tomorrow, if you can stretch to a private scan I would do that, I paid £99 for mine and thought the peace of mind was well worth the money. All the best xXx

• i had a vaginal scan at 6 weeks and found a heartbeat. said i was 5weeks and 5 days at that scan.

good luck xx
  • Thank-you for your replies ladies.

I just hope that baby is ok.