Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Advice on maternity pay...

Hello, I'm looking for some advice please! I work full time, but it's kind of a strange company set up. I won't waffle on about it, basically I don't have a written contract, no body who works for these people do. I've been there 7 months, and I was told I'd get a contract in the beginning. I have approached the directors about it, and they get a bit irritated and say that we don't need contracts, they said, we pay you on time, you get holiday pay, you don't need a contract. So. My question is, will I still be able to claim statutory maternity pay for 1 year? I will almost bet my life that my boss won't pay me extra, as I know they have that option if they're nice. If anything I'm expecting to lose my job over it, I guess that's why they don't do contracts, so they can drop people as and when they wish. Does anyone have any similar experience of working for an independent company who like to do as little as possible for their employees? I'm approaching my 12 week scan, so I haven't told work yet, but I want to be super prepared. I enjoy my job, and don't really want to loose it. I also doubt that these men have had to deal with a pregnancy in the company before, so I doubt they'll know the rules and regs, which is rather worrying, hopefully it won't be a stressful battle image Thank you x

Replies