Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Group B Strep test

Hi all

Has anyone had the group b strep test and do your doctors/midwifes offer as routine? Mine doesnt but it worries me that it could go undetected if not tested and it seems babies can be really poorly when born if the mother carries it? Im almost 37 weeks.

thanks

Replies

• It's not routine, but I've read it can be done privately for ??30, a measly ??30 that should be paid for by the nhs to carry out such an important test in my eyes. If u r worried speak to ur midwife. I was diagnosed with it after a swab for abnormal bleeding after sex(when I wasn't pregnant), it scared me I could have had it while I was pregnant before but surely my little girl would have been ill so I can't have been. I've mentioned to my midwife that I had it and they are going to test me again nearer the time as it can come and go. If you have it you need antibiotics during labour. Something I really don't want as I want a water birth again. X