Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Midwife appointment wasn't that bad...

Had my midwife appointment she went over my medical history and Phil and had referred me to an obstetrician and a food and weight management course as I rarely eat much due to being an anerexic in the past.. I am eating as much as I can but often bringing it back up.

Anyways I also had a blood test she took quite a fe valves of blood... Any idea why? And she also wants us to go and get a Downs Syndrome screening. 

She has arranged an appointment for me for 10th July for my three months scan. 

What happens now? 

x

Replies

• They test you for any STI's, any infections you may have, what blood group you are, If you are HIV. Absolutely everything they test you for.. i was worrying about the same thing...

You will see a midwife after your first scan, then have a 16wk appointment, then your 20 wk scan, 25 wk midwife appointment (28 wk if first baby) There is a page in your book near back that shows you what appointment's you will have image

I have my 25wk appointment on Tuesday, looking forward to hearing her heatbeat again image

x

• I didn't get a book? Or notes? xx

• Glad it wasn't too bad - see I said the increase blood volume would help!

The blood tests are for pretty much everything, anaemia, sickle cell, iron levels, HIV and also to check if you are rhesus negative or positive.

The Downs syndrome screening is actually at your 12 week scan. They take a measurement of the fluid that's behind the babie's neck (all done via the computer) and you also have a blood test just after your scan. Then you get a letter through the post telling you what your risk is of the baby having downs (or if it's high then they call you to ask you if you want to have more testing to find out 'for sure').

Did your midwife not give you your folder of maternity notes/bounty pack at your booking in appointment? Along with things like, telephone numbers to call if you have any problems etc?

Going by my own experience, you now sit on your laurels and wait around feeling like nothing is happening, then you get your letter through with the date for your 12 week scan and get all excited, have that and then you ring your midwife after your scan as then you have your confirmed due date that you can tell her to base the rest of your appointments on. You then won't see her until your 16 weeks, and at 16 weeks she will listen to the heartbeat which is the first time you hear it image