Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

5 months pregnant and getting SEVERE pain constantly

All the drs are saying it's normal and can't find any reason for severe cramps but I have felt like I am on the worst, most painful day of my period every day since about 1 week after conception! has anyone else ever heard of this level of pain during pregnancy because every doctor I see reassures me it's normal but I only read of cramping in the early stages - I am 20 weeks and bent double sweating profusely with pain on a daily basis, and it's getting worse! I am delighted all is fine with the baby and 'nothing' seems to be causing it, and accept that even we DID find a cause there would likely be precious little we could do about it until the baby is born, but it would help my head (and my partners) if there were some kind of explanation other than it being 'normal' especially since of the dozens of friends and family we have seen through pregnancy we have NEVER heard of it being specifically agonising in this way! the drs are happy to tell me to take paracetemol but as the pain is constant it would mean taking it permanently which is something I think would do more harm than good.  Does anyone else have experience of this? xxx

Replies

• Do you suffer with IBS or something similar? I know that if your uterus is stretching & changing this can niggle at your bowels & if they are sensitive, it can easily cause them to cramp up as they are right ontop of each other. The doubled up pain & sweating is something i get when my IBS is playing up.... & i know pregnancy can often change bowel habits so even if you didnt have it before, this may be your problem now. I would speak to your doctor again & suggest this If you think it might be your bowels. There is medication you can take (like Buscopan which you can buy over the counter) to relax the muscles but not sure if you can take it while pregnant so you would need to check.

hope you feel better soon!

• Hi thanks so much for your reply and good wishes, it is a good idea re IBS but we already investigated that as a possibility (as well as constant testing for UTI's and other infections) and it doesn't seem that likely - it really does seem to be my uterus that is where the pain is coming from (though I appreciate it is impossible to tell for sure) and it even worsens heavily with contractions frequently -still no drs show alarm at this so can only trust it really is normal! thanks again xxx