Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby small? should i be concerned?

Hi girls, new to this site but have found it very helpful since i found out i am expecting!

After a 4 year wait and being told i would need IVF treatment i finally fell pregnant naturally with a little boy which me and my partner are so shocked but overjoyed with! Pregnancy got off to a sicky start and sickness didnt stop until 18 weeks! I had a scan at 20 weeks and was told my babies measurements vary alot and will need to go back for rescan to see if measurements balance out. They also refferred me for a consultant to look at my notes. They also couldnt see his lips (check for cleft) but said they would also check that at my next scan. I then went back for another scan at 23 weeks and was told measurements have now balanced but baby is very low on the 'normal' scale which means my baby is small, i was told consultant had requested to see how my babies growth was on this scan. They also still couldnt see his mouth due to being in an awkward position yet again. I then saw my midwife at 24 weeks when she measured my stomach and was told i was measuring 23 instead of 26. Midwife said i will most probably get a consultant after my next scan if baby still measuring small. My next scan is next week which will make me 28 weeks.

Should i be concerned over my babies growth? and what does having a consultant intail? A little confused and feeling left in the dark at the moment. Any advice or experiences much appreciated image 

xx

Replies

• Options

hi sg both my boys where small 4 pound 4 ounces but born 9 weeks early just went into labour couldn't stop it my second was similar to you measured very small hardly had a bump check ups nearly every day got told they couldn't see his legs then on another scan said they could see them but they was very short anyway they induced me 5 weeks early had a natural labour and lots of doctors etc in the room because we didn't no what to expect they told me he was only going to weigh 2 pound and he was born very tiny at 3 pound 1 ounce and his legs where fine and only needed a feeding tube no other medication and was breathing on his own and was home with in 2 weeks both my boys are very healthy now my eldest is 14 and 6ft 3 lol with size 11 feet and my youngest is average height and weight for his age and now has long legs and plays in a local football team so what I will say is they can sometimes get things wrong and tell you the worst just in case I wish you all the luck in the world gl to you and enjoy your little boy xxx

• Options

Thanks pearl, so having a little baby doesnt mean they stay small forever then lol! My bump looks as if im about 20 weeks, im not the smallest of frames (size 12-14). Im on often appointments so glad they are keeping an eye on everything. Most people have told me they get it wrong most the time so not to worry, thankyou for replying image xxxx

• Options

Your welcome gl to you x

• Options

Since you can't do anything about it, it would be best not to worry because that would transfer to the baby. Obviously that is difficult but try to adopt a "what will be will be" attitude; enjoy the rest of your pregnancy, give yourself little treats, listen to some nice happy music, think positive thoughts and you could have a serene and happy baby regardless of potential minor problems like a cleft lip which is, after all, easily fixed.

• Options

hii edmontonkitty, not worried about cleft lip at all (i work in dental so know they are easily treated and saw some cases where the scars can be hardly visable). Trying not to worry too much about size, hopefully i get more light on the situation on my next scan and take it from then. Thanks for reply x

• Options

Hi looking for feedback or previous experiences. i am 29 weeks & My bump was measuring small at 24cm. So my midwife booked a growth scan and my daughter is measuring 4 weeks smaller than she should. I have anothe 2 in the next 2 weeks to see if she improves in growth, if she does not or if she is growing but still showing that she is small would I need to get induced at all as a few people have said I would, I will talk about it with the nurse fully next week as she did not mention it. Thanks any information or feedback is appreciated:)