***Birth Story - Nenas***

I have eventually got around to writing this - sorry it's so long, but I've written it for myself and couldn't be bothered to edit it down. There's pictures at the end for those who make it that far!


We had tried all the baby-out techniques the weekend of my due date, to no avail, and I'd had a sweep at 40+3 which didn't seem to make any difference. Every morning, H would wake up and ask 'anything overnight?', and be mightily disappointed when I said no and sent him off to work with the promise I'd call him if anything happened.

I woke up on 40+8 with period pain type cramps, but didn't think too much of them as I'd been 'symptom-spotting' for weeks. I had a midwife appointment booked for that afternoon for another sweep, but by about 11am I was noticing the cramps turn into very mild pains every 10 minutes or so and had started timing them. I rang the midwife who said there was no point in coming in for the sweep as it looked like things were starting, and that calling H home from work might be a good idea. H got home about 3pm and we went for a walk around the block to get things going a bit more. I was able to walk around and talk without too much trouble, so knew things were a way off yet. H was due to be best-man at a wedding 3 days later (I'd said he could go as long as I wasn't actually in labour and me and baby were well if she'd arrived), so he went off to the groom's house to pick up and try on the suit. While he was gone, the TENS machine that I'd had on for a few hours was malfunctioning, so he asked around and the grooms Dad had a TENS for his back-pain so he brought that home for me to use! (My TENS wires had come loose from the pads so were shorting out on my back...ouchy!). The TENS was helping, and contractions were coming every 5-6 minutes, so we decided to call the hospital at about 10pm just to let them know I was progressing and to get me 'on the books'. They said to call back when I was getting pains every 3-4 minutes, which we reached by about midnight, and they actually started coming a lot quicker, about every 2-3 minutes by 1am so we went along to the hospital to get checked out. (We were just on our way out of the door and I thought I'd have a sip of drink, and promptly dropped the glass, it hit the coffee table, span to the ground and sprayed juice all over the living room - and I mean all over - we are still finding random juice stains now! So H had to spend the next 10 minutes clearing up the worst of it before we could leave!)

Typically by this point my contractions had slowed right down and I barely seemed to be in labour, and when they examined me I was only 1cm which I'd been the week before at my sweep, so I'd made no progress whatsoever! I was given another sweep and some paracetamol and codeine and sent on our way, which was actually fine as I knew I wasn't far enough along to be admitted, but we just wanted to know where we were, and now that we did we were happy to carry on at home. I'd taken my TENS machine off to be examined and hadn't put it back on, and by the time I got home the contractions that I was having had slowed down to about 10 minutes apart but were much stronger when they did come. I decided to leave H upstairs to get some sleep and I laid out on the (juice-soaked) sofa. From about 3-6am I managed to get some rest between contractions, but they were much stronger than before we'd been to the hospital, and by morning I was struggling to manage by myself, so went up and laid in bed with H, clutching at the side of the mattress through the pain. By 8am I was really struggling and so phoned the hospital and went in. The car journey there (in rush-hour I might add) was awful, and something I never want to do



  • holy cr*p its long...sorry!

  • Lovely birth story Nenas, really well-written! Sounds quite positive apart from the tear, you poor thing. Get those photos up! Big Smile

  • Great story Nenas :-) must have been a scare for your H when you had the fit! Looking forward to pictures xx

  • 2 hours old

    a few days old with the bear that Pombear made her


    first smiles from yesterday!

  • (I may delete the first one after a bit, not especially fetching!)

  • She's gorgeous, congratulations.

    Apart from the tear, it sounds like a very positive experience.

    Must have been scary though.

  • Beautiful :-) xx

  • Congratulations :).

  • Ah sounds like a lovely birth, shame about the scary passing out bit. Aveline looks so sweet and the image of you!

  • Lovely to read, Nenas :)

  • She is gorgeous! Congratulations

  • Lovely birth story nenas!

  • That's a lovely birth story despite your blood loss drama. Congratulations again, she's utterly gorgeous xx

  • Sounds like a generally positive experience, bar the whole fit/fainting/blood loss etc. A is gorgeous, would love to introduce her to O sometime x

    And LOL to the euromillions ticket!

  • Great story, thanks for sharing. She's gorgeous!

  • Fab story, sounds very positive all up to the last bit. Was laughing about your priorities for a euro millions ticket! Gorgeous pictures x

  • That's quite a journey that you went on and I do hope recovery hasn't been too slow.  A is gorgeous x

  • Thanks for sharing :-) She's gorgeous! Apart from the tear it does sound like a positive birth x

  • It was such a positive experience and i'm so glad i managed on just gas and air and the water. I had hoped for that but never honestly thought I'd actually do it! I was so pleased with how the birth went, but did get a bit upset when they said i had a 3rd degree tear, but it wad only about 20 mins after i'd passed out so think emotions were running high. H was quite traumatised by it all and it took him a few days to get over it all, but we're all good now :)

    We didn't win anything from the Euromillioms ticket if anyone was wondering...and in fact H managed to throw away the ticket which i had hoped to keep for her memory box..!

  • awwww u look fab dont delete it and she is just beautiful! massive congrats x

Sign In or Register to comment.

Featured Discussions