Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

***weekend 1st tri***

2»

Replies

• I don't believe in jinxing either, but i emailed my sister to tell her and the subject line was, "I hope this isn't a jinx, but..." I think we all realise there's no such ing as jinxes, but it's a way of putting our fears into context.  We don't want to have to share bad news with everyone necessarily, and so by telling people early while we may not be 'jinxing' anything, we will be running the risk of not being able to privately grieve if things go wrong.

Barefoot, what's the exact reasoning for your work not allowing pg women to work?  Is there some sense in it?  Is fit because of risk to you, or risk to the people you're treating?

AR, rubbish about the early waking, but I'm hearing more and more and pregnancy insomnia. Yay.  Ant and Wispa are passed out on the bed next to me, and I've been awake for hours!  I know it's not early now, but it's a Sunday!

Afm, my cold symptoms are abating, no more runny nose but still stuffed up.  In its place I've been left with asthma worse than it's been since I was a teenager.  Wtf.  Wheeze and cough, sleeping in an upright seated position and still not helping much.  I'm supposed to be having a doctors appt tomorrow to tell them about the pregnancy, but it seems I might be more likely to focus on upping my meds if pregnancy is making the asthma worse Cry

• Congrats, WW!  I heard that if it's your first, it's a good idea to book a GP appointment to get in the system, so I've done that.  

And yes, the numbers are weeks and days.  So from last menstrual period I am 4+4, which is still nothing.  

And no two pregnancies are the same so don't try to compare symptoms to your sisters, count yourself lucky.  My SIL has two sons.  With her first she was in bed her entire first trimester, couldn't even go into their kitchen, and miserable.  With her second she had no sickness at all!  Apparently nausea might not hit until 6-8 weeks, so you could still have that to look forward to.  I for one and hoping I don't get it too bad.  Still early days, though and I understand having symptoms would ease the anxiety.  I decided to do another CBD test this morning just to see the number go up from 1-2 to 2-3!  And contemplating getting another test for next week just to see the hcg continue to rise...

• WW - are you taking folic acid? In my experience that's the only thing the GP is likely to advise you at this stage. Every surgery is different, call them up for a chat. At mine the GP doesn't want to see you; instead you pop in and fill in a form to register your pregnancy. The midwife collects these a couple of times a week and will give you a call to introduce herself and book you an appointment. Booking in is often around 8-10 weeks in.

Yes 7+2 is 7 weeks 2 days. But the traditional and universal expression of the dates is to go from the first day of your last period (LMP). You aren't pregnant during your period, obviously, so you sort of 'gain' 2 weeks or so when you count pregnancy weeks - if your period was 4 weeks ago and you conceived 2 weeks ago, you're deemed to be 4 weeks pregnant.

The date calcs work for those with an average cycle, but otherwise ovulation (and obviously conception) is a good indicator. Some people have very irregular cycles so don't know at all when they last ovulated or how pregnant they are. An early scan is good for that info, whether the midwife sends you for one or you choose to pay and go privately.

As for symptoms, they can very much ebb and flow. I am the last person who should be saying this after my meltdown of a couple of weeks ago but try not to link frequency/strength of symptoms with the health of the pregnancy. There are various stages and different things could be prominent at different times. Try not to worry :)

• If anyone is in touch with Browny can they give her a big hug from us on 1st Tri please? xx

• Good morning :)

Counter I sent her a message this morning and just added on that you asked after her :)

Not much for me to add today really

• I'm just laying on the sofa crying whilst hubby is decorating! Feel rubbish, head's blocked, throat is burning and painful, all I've managed to do is run Harry to work and pick up the new hoover. I feel like a miserable useless lump and can't believe it's back to work tomorrow already. And I meant to work some today but I'm just not up to it. Need to snap out of this, it's helping no one, lol.

• AR, that's exactly what I intend to do: life and activities as normal until it doesn't feel right. OH and parents are onside with that and I intend to discuss with the midwife when I get an appt.

WW, welcome! I plan to make a GP appt tomorrow but it will be more a case of asking what to do and when I need to see the midwife. If the GP needs to see me, fair enough.

Wispa, I have no real idea about work. They say risk to me, but we already have a minimal lift policy. We get backup for heavy people, and the trucks have winches. We are at no more risk of assault than A&E nurses, and they work until mat leave. It's been said that certain things will be hard once the bump gets in the way, but I'm sensible enough to stop then anyway!

Counter, I really hope you feel better this evening. I have the start of a cold and its so frustrating not being able to take my usual cure-all remedy (nurofen cold and flu), but I don't want to risk meds like that. You're not useless anyway, you've been amazing support over the last week xx

AFM, another shift over, and sipping Becks Blue. If anyone's interested, it's not too bad. Kopparberg alcohol free fruit cider is, on the other hand, like liquid wine gums. Ugh!

• Counter - You are in no way useless, sending a big hug and hope your feeling better..

Barefoot- What's Becks blue?

afm, Just been ordering some maternity clothes! While we have some spare cash at the end of the month thought I can have some ready and waiting for when I need them, dreading the day I wake up and can't get my clothes on haha!

• Hi CC, it's alcohol free lager. One of the better ones, apparently. My best mate, bless her, gave me loads of reviews of which booze free booze is worth the money and which isn't!

• Ahhh I see haha, I am not really a big drinker so have no idea haha! Sounds nice bless her!

• I bought my first baby thing today! Couldn't resist, Sainsbury's had 25% off clothes so I bought a little sleepsuit which is based on the book Dear Zoo (I can't find it online to flash), but it's so cute, and unisex enough. That's satisfied my need to shop for now!

Counter - so sorry you're feeling rubbish. You're definitely not useless, you've been working crazy hours this week, while still keeping your pregnancy a secret at work...make sure you cut yourself some slack and look after yourself!

Barefoot - I need to try that. I have a bottle of Kopperberg non-alcoholic cider but haven't opened it yet because I knew it'd be really sweet. I heard they do non-alcoholic cobra so might try that? Every that's non-alcoholic seems to be too sweet!

CC - you'll have to let us know what you've bought! My jeans today are being done up with a hairband!

• Barefoot I love koppparberg alcohol free  only the pear one though, the mixed fruit is way too sweet though. Becks blue isn't bad at all (cc it's alcohol free becks).

I'm coming down with a cold too. Have spent the last few hours shivering under a blanket. Sneezing non atop and glans are up. Have been throwing back orange juice ad paracetamol has kicked the head and ear ache. I really don't have time to be ill!!

Counter I hope you're ok lively. We are all allowed a good cry. Xx