Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

21 weeks pregnant, big problems at work, referred to occupational health - any experiences?

2»

Replies

• Poor you fig leaves for going through this, it sounds awful. Firstly no matter where you work, no employer can unilaterally change you contractual hours. When you go back do whatever hours your contracts says and not what the head asks.

I don't have any experience with teaching practices but you might want to check what policies and procedures are in place with your union. They should have something setting out procedures for sick leave and long term leave. These are really important to see so that you follow the procedures as well as checking whether the school/head do. Cooperate with OH but remember that you are off sick with work related stress/illness and they can't keep contacting you. It amounts to harassment and for that reason you should make a note of the frequency of calls etc as well as what is being said. Counter is right that there are grounds or constructive dismissal if you did decide to resign now. However it is not something that should be done lightly - honesty it is incredibly stressful bringing a claim.

Glad you are already feeling the benefits of taking leave. She sounds like a conplete b***h! Hope it all goes well :) x

• I can't believe what a witch this woman is. I have an awful boss but even she is careful when it comes to anything that could be construed as harassment which is obviously what this is. I don't know what way it works in terms of the public sector but before going back to work make sure you talk this through with your union. I wouldn't be answering the phone to her, just make sure you stick to the sickness policy so they don't have anything on you. Maybe put it in an email that you feel being contacted would make you more stressed and keep note of anytime she does try and contact you. So sorry you are going through this, it makes me so angry that people get away with this kind of thing!

• I would check out where she actually stands with changing your days. I'm part time and was asked to change my days, but said no due to my child care arrangements. I was then had my role changes against my will, but not my days as apparently as long as I'm working the same days for the same pay then she can change my role as she wished. My head being as she is would have enforced the day change if she was allowed to, I'm sure. Make sure you make it clear how much additional stress working the different days has put on you to OH when you speak to them.

• Massive hugs to you. Think about you and only you. And by the sounds of your head we could easily work for the same person! Keep in touch with your union and as for all future meeting to be with a union rep. Xxx