Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

6.45pm for a party

Is it just me that thinks this is incredibly  late? SIL has text me to say she is having her daughter's party at this time. Having been to a party there before it will probably go on for 1.5 -2 hours. Her daughter will be 6. I am sure my 5 year old will cope but this time is hard for my 2 year old since he dropped his daytime nap. She has also told me she is inviting our friend's twins who are 20 months old. It is not a case of declining the RSVP. We will have to go.

Replies

• Options

Yes, that does sound rather late. Is it a private hire of a soft play venue? They tend to have to be after opening hours.

Do you and your H both have to go? Could just one of you go with A and the other stay home?

• Options

No they do parties there all day. It is at a Leisure Centre. She was late booking it so all the daytime slots had gone.

• Options

I'd not accept an invitation at that time. N is 30 months and is in the bath at 6.30pm!

• Options

Yes, very late for a children's party, C would be getting ready for bed at that time.  

• Options

Too late for me. Too late for dinner and then they'll be all hyped up for bed!

• Options

Terrible time for a party.  I at 19 months has her bath at 6.50 so I would not want to be going.

Major dilemma though as it is family.

• Options

Yes I think it's late.  H would be in bed, she goes about 6.30 and J would be far too hyped to go to bed after the party.  They only really stay up late for special parties

• Options

If it wasn't a family member I'd be declining straight away. The kids will have had dinner before we go so we my get away without staying for the food part. Thankfully we live HN 10 minute drive away.

• Options

Even for SIL I wouldn't go! Or at least I wouldn't take the 2yo.

What day is it on?

• Options

For a 6yr old, it's not late. C went to 7pm parties at that age, as they had discos.

J is 19 months, and had his 1st Birthday party at 5pm, and was still going strong at 10pm. As a one off, I don't see a problem TBH.

• Options

I think it's too late, even for a 6 year old

• Options

Thats a stupid time! My nearly 5 year old would be stroppy and difficult from tiredness at a party that time. Not fun!

• Options

That is an odd time.  Even if some of the kids are ok, I imagine there'll be a lot of tears, tantrums and whinged towards the end!  

I don't know many 5/6 year olds, but the ones I do wouldn't be much fun at that time.

Shame you're obliged to go!

• Options

I think it IS quite late for a six year old when you take into account that's the start time! I'd be declining.

• Options

My sons are 7 and 4 and I would never host a party at that time, it's far too late.

But if we were invited we would go along, I'd even take my 2 year old, she'd manage a one off late night. She often stays up at home till about 8 on weekends if we're watching a film together.

• Options

It is a rubbish time!  Whether I'd take her not, it depends, if it was a Saturday then I'd think it was a rubbish time but for family would take my 2yo along, during the week I wouldn't because she'd be ratty as hell the next day and I'd be getting her up for nursery etc.  In saying that though we've went to family parties in the evenings with M, it's not ideal but have done it a couple of times.

• Options

We have had the children up late before and have gone to various functions. However, if it was me and that was the time of the party I was given I don't think I would have booked it!

• Options

nope I wouldn't have booked it either Mossy, tbh I'd be concerned about cranky children and people declining invites at that time x