Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

A couple of questions about Expressed Feeds

2»

Replies

• Options
    Thanks for sharing Tina, i do still think I'll give breastfeeding another go but I'm apprehensive and i know that will effect the latching.

the first few days of expressing i was still giving one boob feeds day and she was happy to switch between the two but um aware she has gotten used to bottle tests now which may make getting her back on the boob tricky!

think i will definitely give nipple shields a go, thanks fir the recommendations TP!
  • Options

In the long run I am actually glad that I had the problems I did as A will happily switch between bottle and boob now whereas I know that some breastfed babies who don't have bottles early on, as recommended, then refuse bottles altogether. A will drink anything from a bottle which has proved a godsend for getting his reflux medication into him.

Use the time that you feed expressed milk to get the emotional breathing space you need, at some point you might feel ready to try the boob again, or you might not, but either way you're doing the best thing which is giving yourself time to make the best choice rather than trying to make a decision when you are in pain and emotionally all over the place.

• Options

Mrs Bass I just wanted to drop in and say that we're no longer on the boob either for various reasons and that I'm also expressing some feeds (although the rest are formula feeds, to help him gain weight). There's loads of great advice on this thread and I can't add any more, cos as you know we're a few weeks behind you and E and I'm still getting the hang of this expressing lark too, but I wanted to say that I'm in the same boat, so you're not alone in spending your days expressing, like a cow in a shed - well that's how I feel about it anyway! I can't imagine doing every single feed that way though so well done you for sticking at it. xxx

• Options
    Tina i agree, i have a friend who after 8 week of exclusively breastfeeding has expressed so she can go out without the baby but they refuse to take a bottle!

Penny, H has started referring to me as 'mummy moo cow' charming! I've got the hang of expressing whilst feeding a couple of times a day which really saves some time! My 'flow' picked up quickly too! She seems to be gaining weight nicely but we have health visitor Thursday so if there are any weight problems we will add a couple of
  • Options

Ha, that is charming! ;-)

How do you manage to express while feeding? I don't seem to have enough hands - or co-ordination! I'm only doing half his feeds with EBM though, the other half are formula as S is underweight.   I'm expressing three times a day and still getting loads of milk each time though, which is nice. It's just a shame that S can't seem to get the hang of extracting it himself!

• Options

I always tried to express while feeding. Instead of lying baby across you, tuck him next to you under your arm... I used to sit on the sofa, stick him on the right boob with his feet by my bum and his head in my lap, pillow to bring him to the right height. Then express from the left (or vice versa).

Like this: www.chop.edu/.../moving-towards-breastfeeding-125769.gif

• Options
    Penny i put her in the arm opposite to the boob in expressing, get her in the book behind my elbow and use the hand from that arm to hold the bottle. I have to make sure i get her in the right position to make sure she is comfy and my hand can reach around enough. Have to balance expressing bottle on my knee or take it of for a bit while i wind her but usually i can get 5iz/150ml of my good good during a feed!