Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

advice on sore eyes

M (19 month) has got sore eyes quite red with green stuff coming out of them her older cousin has had an eye infection so i'm guessing she has caught this after seeing her on monday but she has been unwell the last week so it could be due to that.

Obviously the doctors is shut so i can't take her, the earliest we can go is to the drop in on tuesday, we went to the chemist but they won't give her anything as she is under two, so what do i do just stick to bathing them with water or does anybody know anything else i can use?

also it's not dangerous to me being pregnant is it?

Replies

• Sounds like conjunctivitis which if the viral strain is easily shared. I'd call the out of hours GP tomorrow just to check they don't want to see her. Don't know about for children but I bathe my eye with bicarbonate of soda and cooled freshly boiled water (as hot as I can stand).

• Sounds like conjunctivitis, horrible infection.  You can get drops from the GP but it can go away without them.  Bathe them in cooled boiled water.  J's had it a couple of times and I caught it from him, its so contagious.  I would wash her pillow case every morning and change her towel every day to prevent spreading.  Make sure you was your hands thoroughly after bathing her eyes.  Hope it disappears soon.

• We are plagued by this at the moment and go with the salt water cure for everything. Pour boiling water onto teaspoon of salt and cool until hot enough to stand. Bathe eye using cotton wool pads. Works a treat! Same for sore throats but gargle with it instead! If you have a homeopath near you might also be worth a visit prior to drs opening again on Monday.

• Thanks all, i'd heard about salt water but wasn't sure if it was ok for children.

it was just one eye this morning but it seems to have spread to her other eye now, i will see how she is in the morning, it may be a trip to the nhs walk in centre!