Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advice on stopping breastfeeding

So P's paediatrician has finally agreed she might be lactose intolerant or have a milk allergy. He has put her on Nutramigen and i have now weaned her onto 100% Nutramigen bottles. Had to mix with normal Aptamil first as it tastes so foul. He said there is no point going on Nutramigen until i want to stop breastfeeding as she needs to be totally dairy and lactose free. So i decided i had to stop to try and help her with all the pain abd allergy symptoms she is getting.

Problem is i really really dont want to or feel ready and P is constantly looking for it. Everytime i hold her she sucks my top/shoulder/neck/ear where she just wants to bf. When i lay her down to ff her she goes in for a bf and it breaks my heart that i cant and have to stick this bottle of foul tasting stuff in her mouth instead.

Anyway emotional issues aside, which i just need to get over(!), how do you physically stop? I have been cutting back more day by day and got down to once a day. Yesterday i decided it had to be my last one so i darkened my bedroom, laid down on the bed with P and breastfed her for the last time -it felt really special as well as sad. I havent bf again since then and now my boobs are quite engorged. Do i ride it out? Or express a bit but then surely i will just make more? I cant remember what i did with G....!

X

Replies

• I used to wait until it got really painful, like they were going to explode, then express just a bit, enough to stop then leaking like mad and hurting, but so they still felt quite full. Think I had to do that for about 1 and a half weeks then managed to get by without expressing any and they gradually got less firm. Took a few weeks before they felt like normal boobs rather than hard though .

When you express just try to express the

Minimum you can to feel comfortable

• I did the same as JT. I had to express off a little bit as the pain got too much. Only did it about 4 times though before it settled down

• I stopped completely cold turkey last wednesday from EBF to FF.  I got really engorged by wednesday evening, thursday and friday were bad but by saturday it had calmed down a bit and today the pain has almost gone, although boobs are still quite lumpy! Not the ideal way to do it but it wasnt as bad as I thought!

• Thanks everyone xx

• If it helps, Heidi is FF and she sucks my shoulder, ears, face, neck etc.

You've battled so much with this. Don't feel bad about stopping if that's what you need to do.

• Not what is recommended but I used to leave it as long as I could physically stand then feed him. Ended up going to one feed a day pretty much straight away but then carried on with 1 feed in the morning for a month or two so when I did totally stop it was hardly noticeable.

I would express a little to relieve yourself. I remember one night it was so bad I actually woke O up to make him feed! It does get better quite quickly though. Don't know if I did something wrong but the cabbage leaves in your bra trick did absolutely nothing for me.