Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Agnus Castus

hello ladies,

as some of you know my implant came out october 31st, and i had spotting november 17th. however nothing since and definatley no AF.

Iv tested and BFN.

i went to the doctor who said he wants to see me again i nfeb if still no AF, that is fine but we want to ttc, so for us Feb seems a long way off.

Someone i work with mentioned Agnus Castus and i was wondering if anyone here has tried it and was it a genuine AF with ovulation ? or was it a false AF ?

the doctor did say he could put me on the pill to generate a period however i would be putting more contraceptive in my body so i didnt really understand this ?

Replies

• I've tried it and it did nothing for me. I was still cycle-less for the 5 or so months I tried it.

I did take soy isoflavones during a false bleed (brought on by provera) and following that I ovulated (confirmed by my duofertility) and went on to have a real period 15 days later. I took soy again during that period, but I haven't ovulated yet. I'm cd17 so there is still time yet.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is just to be patient. I have assumed getting pregnant will take a couple of years at least and if I get pregnant sooner, it will be a bonus. However it means I don't truly get my hopes up in the mean time. I just carry on with life as normal rather than letting TTC take over.

It is good you have gone to the GP though. It means things are 'in the system' and so might be easier to process down the line.

• With regards to the pill for a period, did he mean a 'pill to bring on a period' instead? This is very common for ladies with relying or absent cycles as it is important to bleed at least four times a year.

• no he said about going back on the pill, for a few months, i thought this was odd.

with regards to the soy is that a holland and barrat product ?

thank you ducky !

• It is indeed a Holland a Barrat product. I have no idea if it actually worked, or if it was a spontaneous cycle, or just a positive attitude as I thought it was doing something! I did tell my GP and she said it was fine for me to take any herbal things, as long as I stopped taking them before we begin any 'real' treatment.

Not really sure about going back on the pill. To me it seems just an easy option because it is safe and will give you periods again. In fact I think Tiny Tiggs' GP did exactly that. However, like you say, it doesn't really help with the baby-making.

I would explain you would like to wait until Feb for your body to settle, and if you still have no period you would like a course (usually 5 or 10 days) or provera/norithesterone (same drug different name) to bring on a bleed. You never know, it might kick start everything by 'resetting' you to cycle day 1!

• thank you so much, you really are so knowlegable!

• I know this is an old post but keen to see how you have both been getting on? I started Agnus Castus a few days ago for very long and irregular cycles since stopping the pill xxx