Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

baby clothes- what did you keep/sell/give away?

as above. We gave away all the big items like cot, pushchair, crib, bouncy chair. But I have bags and bags of clothes including all his old socks. My husband thinks I have a disease! I'm going to get some vacuum storage bags and have a sort out because I can't bear to part with it all.

Replies

• Options

With C, I kept one prem outfit for his memory box, and kept J's coming home outfit, then gave everything away as they grew out of it.

• Options

You are good AK.

• Options

I've kept lots of b's prem baby outfits as wasn't sure what else to do with them, donated all the little cardigans etc to the hospital but still got lots of outfits. All the other clothes he's growing out of are going or eBay or being given away

• Options

We've kept pretty much everything of C's for the chance that we might have another, all the clothes are in vacuum bags so don't take up a huge amount of space like that.

• Options

where did you get your bags Deedee? are they good? Do they hold the seal?

• Options

We kept everything from I as we knew we wanted another. If #2 had been a boy all the girl stuff would be going now.

I have kept I's going home outfit, got a bunny done with some others, the rest will be worn by S then either sold or given away.

All big things will go as the girls outgrow them.

• Options

We gave everything away we had nieces/nephews born not long after both of our babies and then we actually got a lot of it back in time for number two/three! This time I will charity or give away as we are definitely not having anymore, unless my younger sister wants it to put it all in her loft for when she's ready for babies!

• Options

it seems like it's only me that is the extreme horder.

• Options

I kept the nicer things that I liked and gave away the rest away.

The vacum bags we got came from Argos and are really good

• Options

*Carole*

where did you get your bags Deedee? are they good? Do they hold the seal?

I think they were from Wilkinsons, and yes they've kept the seal AFAIK (they're in the loft and I don't really go up there, but MrDD hasn't mentioned anything)

• Options

I kept one of sammy's prem outfits and gave the other prem stuff to a hitcher.

Everything else has been round one or 2 homes now and been returned! Meant we didn't have to find a home for it in the meanwhile. This is definitely our last so I will either sell or give pretty much all of it away I think after we're done. Even though I kept most equipment from last time I've actually bought quite a bit new this time round mostly because we had a lot 2nd hand last time. Will definitely sell it this time.

Carole what I'm seeing is someone who's clearly not 100% made the decision not to have another! Ask Rusty about getting rid f everything and then changing her mind!

• Options

Oh yes, buying everything again has been great fun! ;)

• Options

Of course I think some people do it deliberately ;-)

• Options

After no. 1 I kept most things in the loft as we were definitely going to have a 2nd.  After no. 2 I sold quite a few small baby things and clothes but stopped when she was 6 months old 'just incase'.  Now we have 3 and as soon as he has outgrown things I get rid.  I have kept each of their 1st pairs of shoes but that is it.  They didn't have 'coming home outfits' so didn't have any of those to keep.

If they are good enough to sell, they get sold either on a local facebook page or at the local NCT sale, if not the school does a 'bags for school' once a term for old unwanted clothes where the school get paid by the kilo for the clothing so it goes there.

• Options

I kept pretty much everything after having M as I knew another was likely and anticipated the next one being a pink one too, we now know that this baby is a blue one so currently going through all M's clothes and ebaying etc now I have it all in one room there is loads and loads!!!! from newborn up to what she is currently growing out of so it's going to take a while.  Most of the other stuff, cot, bouncer etc are all neutral so will get used this time.  As this is definitely the last this time when something is outgrown etc whether it's clothes or toys then it will be given away/ebayed/sold etc.  Obviously I've kept a couple of little keepsakes.  

• Options

I kept absolutely everything after Zoe, unless the clothing was stained, it got backed away in boxes and put in the loft.  Along with pram, crib, cot, changing table .. everything.  I just wasn't ready to accept that we wouldn't have any more.

This time around as soon as we are finished with a size I intend to find a new home for it.  The problem we have is that I don't know anyone with baby girls so haven't got anyone to pass it on to which would be my preference, so will probably end up selling the better brands (Monsoon, Boden etc) and giving to charity the other things.

• Options

workinghard

Carole what I'm seeing is someone who's clearly not 100% made the decision not to have another! Ask Rusty about getting rid f everything and then changing her mind!

*nervous laugh* never say never, but definitely not now

just seems silly that I am hanging onto silly things like a bag of socks and we gave away the big £££ items!

• Options

I kept it all for #2, but will get rid as soon as things are grown out of. If we have 3 we'd probably go for adoption for 3rd, and that would be a child as opposed to a baby.

Keep a few bits, but at the end of the day, it's just 'stuff'. And for some people ( if you give it away) it's a real lifesaver!