Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby's 6 wk hip/foot scan

Has anyone had this? Agnes' feet were floppy and easily point in. They don't look like the club feet like I've looked up on the internet, but then I'm sure they're all different. We've been advised to exercise and massage her feet and ankles very briefly with each nappy change, the paediatrician said her feet were scrunched up in the womb (she's really long) and just need to strengthen. She said it wouldn't prevent her walking but she might be later. However if we keep up the massaging they should be normal within 6-9 months. Her feet take her weight because when she's on my chest lunging at my boob she pushes up and bounces around. I suppose time will tell whether it's an actual issue but I wondered whether anyone else had been given the test, and how it went.

Replies

• R had this when she was born, she was also a long baby. Hers didn't look like any of the images I saw on Google either. We did the massage daily, I can't remember how long for (she's almost 4 now) but it was nowhere near 6-9 months, maybe 6 weeks or so. She had no follow ups or scans to check on it, the HV just used to look over it when she saw her. I don't think it has affected her in any way - she was a late walker but there was never any suggestion it was due to that.

• Ah that's good to know. Thank you, glad all was well :)

• S was born with positional talipes, is this what A has? It sounds similar. He is quite long and was breach for a long time while I was pregnant.

He's been under a physio since he was referred by our gp at his 8 week check. We were doing the stretches and strokes which helped a lot and he also wore special shoes while playing for a while. It's now more that his muscles in his legs are a bit overactive so his feet are straight but he pulls his legs in. His range of movement is fine so they're not at all worried. Apparently as long as the movement is there, they don't lose it. She's never said he will be late walking but he might need insoles once he does, for a while.

This is a picture of his feet when he was newly fresh, if it helps? Does it look familiar?

• R had positional talipes too but his sorted themselves out with minimal intervention and he never had any extra scans etc x

• S was a huge baby so unsurprisingly had positional talipes. I did the exercises and by 6 weeks he was fine. He started walking at 10 months so clearly hasn't suffered any effects!
  • Popcorn, A hasn't been diagnosed with that (currently), and it wasn't even mentioned but when the appointment arrived today I googled and that's what it came up with. The feet position looks similar for sure.

• Seen more replies, sounds like it's relatively common and not a huge issue so that's good to know. Thank you :)