Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

bedtime help

Hi all really need some help with regards to bedtime routines 

More is now 9 weeks old. We have started trying to get her to bed at night. For the past 9 weeks her colic has been awful she screams and screams until she passes out around 11 or 12 at night.  The last week the colic seems to be improving so wanted to get her into a routine now.  So I tried bath, massage, then bed but all she does is scream

I thought the bath was over stimulating for her as she loves the water and gets really excited. But even when she is so so tired she just screams I try leaving her I try settling her but nothing works I just have to stick my arm in the crib and hold in her dummy until she passes out . Problem is she gets her self in such a state.  And it's also breaking my heart hearing her so upset 

I would appreciate any help 

Thanks all

Replies

• Does she sleep much during the day? If she doesn't then over tiredness could be the problem as well as the colic not helping.

Does she calm down/fall asleep if you rock her?
  • Have you tried takin her out in the car to at least settle her? That worked when M was little. With C the slumber bear seems to be starting to help, so even though he settles reasonably well during the day I have been using the slumber bear every time I put him down to sleep, so there's consistency. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

They are still so small though that their sleeping patterns habits and abilities to self settle will change almost daily so it will just be what works for you both each time x

• We had this with S but it was reflux and overtiredness rather than colic. It's really hard. Stick with your routine and she will eventually start to realise that it means sleep time and begin to calm down. S clicked at 12 weeks and calmed down a bit. We have done the same routine at bedtime since he was 2 weeks old so persevere.

White noise really helps too.

• If you can, try to stick to the two hour rule during the day so she's getting sufficient daytime sleep. Maya is almost 6 months and I've only just in the last 2 weeks been able to put her down for her day naps. For 5 months she's been having three naps a day on me as it's the only way she'd sleep. Not easy when you have a toddler to entertain too. I think it's a lot to do with age and 9 weeks is still little. You have plenty of time to establish a routine. You'll get there x
  • A screams at bedtime if he's overtired - even now at 6 months. Naps are key in my experience, at 9 weeks he couldn't go more than 2 hours without sleep. Now he goes for longer during the day but has to have a 30 min nap at 4.30ish in preparation for going up to bed at 6! At 9 weeks his bedtime was much later than this but he would nap in the early evening.