Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Best slings for indoor and outdoor (not necessarily one sling)

On the back of my post about getting things done I'm wondering about getting a sling.  So, what are your recommendation got slings got around the house? did you use these outdoors or did you have a different one for outdoors / h to use?

csn you use a sling when your not supposed to be lifting? ( I'm sure you can as I lift baby anyway)?

Replies

• I had a moby and adored it. I got one in chocolate brown so H was happy to use it to. Outside he wore it lots, usually with a coat done up over it too. I have a horse and from when P was tiny i was outside with her on the stables and walking round fields, we used the moby as much for this as at home. Best thing we bought for the early days.

• I loved my Moby. Sadly I had to sell it as A got heavier and my back problems flared up again. I've got a babyhawk now and love it! I mainly use the slings for the school run as I hate taking the buggy down to school because its always really congested (4 classes coming out of 1 side of the school)

• I had a moby when Z was little and changed to a babyhawk when she got to about 6 mths.  However I would say that this wasn't generally a way of enabling me to do housework, hell having a new baby is the perfect excuse not to do any.  

• I asked this at my baby group and quite a few people recommended the babasling but I don't have any personal experience. Also in a lot of areas there are sling libraries where you can go along and try out different ones and see what works for you, maybe worth a look. I'll be following this with interest as I've been considering getting one, as like you i'd actually like to get something done in a day!

• I'd suggest either a stretchy sling (like a Moby or a Caboo by Close) or a Connecta.

Both H and I use our Connecta loads. Best baby buy hands down. I can put E on my back in it too so I can do things like cooking. A Connecta would last you longer than a stretchy too.

• Sorry just saw the indoors/outdoors bit if your post.

We use all our slings (plural lol!) both in and out. Inside I just take her cardi off when she's in the sling and outside add more layers.

I would've thought (in my totally non medical opinion) that lifting wise you should be fine. In fact you may find it better with a decent sling (not a high street one) as they distribute baby's weight evenly across your back. E is nearly ten months and doesn't feel heavy at all when in the sling.

• Thanks everyone there is a sling library not too far so I think I'll go armed with your recommendations and see if I can try some.

• We have the caboo and I've used inside and out, although mostly out as I found doing housework with the baby stuck to me quite difficult, works for many people though, I just didn't like it!

• I've a Moby and H has a Baby Bjorn. E loves both depending on her mood. If we just want to get on then the BB is easiest" same for if she has colic and wants to be upright but the Moby is very comfy and almost always sends her to sleep. My only problem is then getting her out of it.. I find it really easy to get E in, but a mission to get her out especially when she is asleep whereas the BB is very easy for this. I've yet to use either outside but will do, and will just layer clothes.