Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

birth choices

2»

Replies

• she has done that, but they are both equal nothing really stands out as an obvious choice, does that make sense?

• Yes it does, it must be so difficult for you. It's good your mum is in the know as she will give you honest advice and want the best for you I'm sure.

• Hi Monnie,

I was high risk with GD and high BMI. I was induced and also had an epidural.

I'll be putting my birth story up hopefully sometime today as I've only now got round to writing it, she's now 16months!!

If you want to chat, or have any questions, just ask Smile

• thanks pocahontas, id be really interested in reading that !!!

• I forgot to say, I had a vaginal delivery and I actually found it all quite a positive experience, yes I would have liked to walk around, or had a water birth, but I'm glad with the desicion i made.

• Monnie, I know someone who is in your hospital today being induced as she has GD! She is 38 wks and has gone for a vaginal birth, will let you know how she gets on

• thanks hun, that would be great ! if she ends up with a c section my mums working theatre today haha !

• we really should meet up sometime monnie. I hope you make a decision that you feel comfortable with. The gd midwives were absolutly crap . because they knew i was having an elective anyway they wernt bothered about me at all. plus you can never get hold of them and they dont return your call for days.

• Iv been trying to call them since Thursday and can't get through! At first I felt really confident and it's dwindling rapidly!

• monnie

i have even asked my mum what she thinks (being a midwife) and she said there is no way of knowing what will happen, and she said i should try a vaginal and be prepared to have a c section, but i dont want an emergency, i dont want my choice to put any stress on the baby

Monnie, just thinking aloud. Going for a natural birth and then having a caesarian might not automatically mean an emergency c-section in the way I would think about it, i.e. in a scary dramatic way. It might just be the automatic next step in the process at that time. In the reading I've done on here recently seems as though an awful lot of people have a c-section but it sounds like, although unplanned, things were quite calm and controlled. Didn't want you to only imagine the worst-case scenario :)
  • Thanks Hun, and to be honest I guess I know that, I wasn't an emergency c section it was just labour wasn't progressing and mum got tired.

I just think knowing me , my luck and my risks there won't be much calmness in the room haha

• Not been in the same situation you are facing but do understand not wanting an emergency section. My first was born by c section at 31 weeks and husked off to NICU straight away. This experience made me want calm in my next pregnancy. I didn't want to labour and then be rushed for an emergency c section. I needed calm and to be in control. For this reason I had a planned c section with my second.

• Hi Monnie

sorry i am really late to this! I am also surprised at them asking you to make this decision so early on.  

I would not be asking for a c section at this point. My experience is this:

- high dependency (6 years TTC so was already consultant lead with PCOS and on mettformin)

- morbidly obese (BMI 44)

- GD controlled totally with diet from 28 weeks on

- baby was measuring 10lbs + at 34 weeks (I had scans every two weeks) she was 8lbs8 born Laugh

- booked for induction at 38 weeks. Waters broke on induction day anyway and I went into labour quick but Molly had poo'd so I ended up on drip to speed process

-epidural once on drip, was a necessary evil as they really ramped up my contractions

- Molly born after 9 hour labour, perfect and remarkably small! I had a tear but no major issues

I told them I didn't want a c section unless necessary and if I has said no. To induction then at 40 weeks they would have given me a section   I wanted to experience labour and I  am so glad I stuck to my guns.   Labour was slightly restrictive due to being on a high dependency room and being constantly monitored but not all hospitals have the same policy. Do not feel pressured (or dare I say bullied) by anyone into doing what they want.  I never put my child at risk  but I did do it the best way for us within thd restrictions.  the midwife was fantastic all the way through and supported me as did the consultant.

I don't know your bmi etc but if you do want to chat offline then message me, happy to talk. There are options xxx

• email removed. Xxx

• Iv emailed you! What a small world!!!! Xx

• Monnie - just to let you know that lady i know had a healthy 7lb 3 baby naturally on monday! (natural birth)

• oh thats fabulous news NLH thank you

im pretty certain im going to go naturally!!!