Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Birth Choices Meeting

Has anyone had one of these with the hospital/midwifes?  I have been offered one by my midwife which will take place at around 30 weeks so a long way to go but I am trying to think of what I would like to discuss with them and wondered if anyone who had actually had one could explain what happens? 

The reason I have been offered one is bacuse although my first labour was ok, I was very immobile due to monitoring of the baby and my BMI.  As soon as they said high risk to me this time I could have cried.  I have lost all that weight but due to my blood clot I am still high risk.  I really would have liked a water birth but hey ho I know that I have to do what is safest and accept that but I want to try and come to some compromise where I will not be immobile for the entire labour! As it is me that is high risk, not the baby, my midwife is supportive of this.  I also had a problem after I had Molly where my womb would not stop contracting (perhaps the underlying blood problem was already there and they couldn't stop the bleeding!?) I nearly ended up in surgery and it was touch and go for a while (anyone see OBEM this week!? that was just like what happened but I lost more blood.  I want to discuss this with them and find out what the liklihood is of it happening again and what can be done to prevent/prepare for it.

Replies

• N, re the bleeding,as you know I lost 2litres with Rose.this time they prescribed a drip for after I'd delivered the placenta and I was fine this time.x

• Not had your experience obviously but I would ask if mobile CTG is available? So they have waterproof monitoring (our hospital does have the equipment but no policy to use it!) if they do, could you labour In a pool/bath and come out near delivery? Will they have blood/FFP (reversal for clotting) for you on standby (just for your peace of mind). Will they induce if necessary? If so will you be induced on delivery or on the ward?

These are just things I personally would want to know you may have already thought of/discusse these?

• Thanks Both

Jen - I didn't realise that no, all was ok this time though?

• I had a similar meeting although it was at the VBAC clinic.  It was very very helpful to be able to talk through how my labour would be managed and what I would / would not be allowed to do.  Our hospital has just had a telemetry system installed so that you can have continuous monitoring even in the birth pool.

I would say to think about what you would like to do, so for me it was labour in the pool, stay at home as long as possible, possibly contradictory but was trying to establish was could and couldn't be done but early siting of epidural (had to have a crash section under GA last time), low threshold for moving to c-section.