Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bleeding at 17+3

Help! During the night I went to the loo and when I wiped I noticed blood on the paper, it wasn't pouring out but enough to have me concerned, this is the first time during this pregnancy that I have had bleeding. My H and I decided to monitor it through the night and ring the midwife in the morning, which I have now done. It isn't blood red now but brown spotting and has been like this since 12.20am. I've had no cramping as such just some twinges and it feels very heavy down there and wishy-washy, cant really think of the right word.

I have a mw appt this afternoon at 4pm and I asked is that for her to check for a heartbeat and she said yes :'( I dunno if I can last that long, I feel so sick and shaky.

Has anyone got any experience of this, at a similar stage and a good outcome? I'm so scared! I don't want to go to the loo or move in case it starts it off and hoping against hope it doesn't get heavier and the cramping starts. I said to H if it comes to that we will just have to go to the hospital and see what they will do.

Thanks LL xx

***UPDATE***

Well I don't know how we hung on until 4pm but we did, I was nearly in tears when the mw called my name in the surgery, H squeezed my hand and in we went. 

So bloomin happy to say we have a very strong and loud heartbeat, the relief when we heard it swept over me but I held the emotions together. The mw was very happy with the heartbeat and took a vaginal swab to check for an infection which could cause the bleeding and also checked my urine which was fine. She said to either phone the Drs or go to A&E if it got serious with cramping and pain and red blood, but she said I did the right thing and had it checked out.

Oooo I may be brave now and venture onto the 2nd tri threads, I've been chicken so far haha! 

I'll still be on knicker watch and twinge/cramp watch, can't stop it really :)

Thank you, you lovely lot for your kind words and advice, it really does help xx

Replies

• Brown blood is old blood. Is there much?.it could be from a wee cut or something.

Can you call back and ask to bring the appointment forward? Xx

• I'm sorry LeeLee, how scary. I've no experience of bleeding later than first tri personally, but my little sister had bleeding a few times through her last pregnancy, in all tris, and it was always fine, so it definitely doesn't always mean something bad has happened. I hope you get lots of reassurance at the midwife later.

• Have you got any other numbers to ring for advice i.e the hospital labour ward etc? I wouldnt wait until 4pm, best to be on the safe side.

Im sure everything will be fine xx

• I dont have experience of bleedinv at this stage but didng want to read and run.  Did the mw say anything helpful when you tokd her? Have you dtd at all? Some ladies bleed after sex. I will keep everything crossed its nothing but if you get more call the mw back or ring maternity ward. Worst case you can go to a&e if you need to.

• Hi CK for your quick reply. The first blood was red but has now gone down to brown. Unfortunately this is the earliest they could book me it. I was even contemplating getting a private scan done, but we've decided to see what the mw finds first and everything crossed its a healthy heartbeat. I have a consultant appt on 9th Jan and the 20wk scan on 14th Jan, I said to the mw that I can't wait until the 14th to see if its still ok so she said ring the Dr's as she has a clinic today and booked it in.

• Ill keep everything crossed its just a random bit of blood from somewhere. And that there is no more x

• I dot have any experience of this but I hope everything is ok. Can you not ring your Fetal Assessment Unit? They might have you in for a check up quicker, I wouldn't want to wait until 4pm either. Hopefully it's nothing though. x

• See how slow I was to reply then, there's more replies, thank you :) I'll keep monitoring it, if it gets worse then we will go to the hospital it's only 10mins by car. I don't want to think what will happen if it has died and what happens then.

The mw asked me how many weeks I was, what blood group I am, was it red blood and how much, she didn't ask me if I had any cramping which afterwards I thought was odd, I thought that would be one of the first questions asked.

Thanks.

• Leelee try and stop thinking the absolute worse, it's not going to help and will only make you more stressed and anxious. I had several episodes of spotting but I was told its absolutely normal. They were asking your blood group because you may need the anti D injection if you are a negative blood group. Can you not ring the maternity triage? Any bleeding or concerns I had I was to phone them after the first scan but everywhere is different. Massive hugs I know how worrying it is but please do your best to get too worked up. X

• I'm sorry I can't be any help but wanted to say I hope everything is ok and I'm thinking about you xxx

• Hope everything is okay and that it's just 'one of those things'. Thinking of you xx

• I had a bleed at 17 weeks with my first pregnancy. Similar to you, I woke up and it was there when I wiped. I phoned triage straight away and went in to be checked over. They never found a reason for it but it had more or less stopped by the time we got to hospital and everything was fine afterwards. Fingers crossed for you x

• Hope everything is ok - like Tweetie Pie says, call the maternity triage - there should be a number on your notes (mine were all on the front). xx

• Hope all is okay, agree you should call triage and ask to be seen straight away xx

• Hoping that all is ok, will be thinking of you x

• It could be a small bleed from the cervix as it's easily irritated (from DTD, or in my case, at 19 weeks, straining for a poo, etc). I'll be thinking of you xx

• Hey hope your ok x
  • Hope to hear a positive update soon x

• Update in OP, thanks xx

• I'm so pleased to see a positive update LeeLee, fab news that all is well. X