Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

breastfeeding help!

Replies

• Co-sleeping - does the side come off crib / cot at all? You could butt it up against side of your bed (& adjust legs) so that it becomes an extension of your bed iyswim. Then you can feed lying down (takes practice!!) And baby falls asleep ... Wait 5mins then gently side baby into cot/crib.

Or. If side doesn't come off crib, jam it up against your bed and use side as Bedguard. Put baby between you and it (not in middle of bed between you & hubby)

Don't let duvet go over baby - generally most co-sleeping mums wear big cardy and then sleep on side facing baby with duvet tucked over legs/tummy. Baby at boob height - nestling in crook of arm

• Well done with BFing BTW. What got me thru the early days was the thought of a) whipping out a boob - easy right!  b) getting out of bed every night for 6+months to make a bottle, whilst baby screams for it ......

• Oh and bung a muslin under baby's head when feeding lying down in your bed - saves soggy sheets from either puke / leaky boobs / milk coming out babies nose!

• HorseFan has basically said it all, also don't drink or smoke and don't let your husband do either if he's sleeping in the same bedroom. We took the side of the cot off and pushed it up against the bed but the little b*gger knew the difference and would only sleep in the bed. I couldn't get the hang of feeding him lying down when he was in his cot, but can do it when he's in my bed. Lie on your side with a pillow behind you, and baby lies on her side facing you with a rolled up towel to prop her up if necessary. As she's so small she might also be able to go in the crook of your arm to sleep. You can feed with 'top' or 'bottom' boob, just experiment a bit during the daytime when you can see and are not so tired.

Never let the blankets go near her, I wear two tops and a cardigan in this weather and just have the blanket for my lower half. If you don't do the sidecar crib arrangement, see if you can push your bed up against the wall - ours sits flush to the wall now and A slept between the wall and me, but now he's bigger (nearly 10 months) he sleeps between me and H because that's most comfy for everyone.

Here's a quick and handy list of dos and don'ts: www.askdrsears.com/.../safe-co-sleeping-habits

Oh and slings. Actually I have to confess I don't feed A in a sling. But yes I think a stretchy wrap may be best while she's so little. Can you get to a sling library or sling meetup? Have a look on Google or Facebook to see if there's any in your area, in my experience the ladies who run the libraries/meets are so friendly and helpful and you can hire slings and practice.

PS: I too thought I'd have a baby who would sleep nicely in a cot! My poor MIL bought us the cot and mattress and ran around to Mothercare and John Lewis doing research on the best ones etc. He's never spent a complete night in it!! And I thought breastfeeding would be easy and painless...(!)

• B is now three weeks old and she has been exactly the same. I've  been awake all night a lot of nights in the early days with her feeding non stop. For her I think it was more that she wanted to be held though as if I finished her feed then put her in her modes basket she would cry and when I picked her back up to settle her she would be rooting so I would let her feed again , felt like a never ending cycle. If I let her fall asleep on me she would be fine but obviously no good for me getting some sleep.

It is now starting to settle down. Last night she slept 2.5 hrs between each feed so I actually got some sleep! It's a big change for baby who has been squashed nice and warm and safe inside you to then be lying on their own. B is so much happier to sleep if she can feel a bit of skin.

Please try to stick at it if you can as like you have said it probably wouldn't help much giving her a bottle anyway.

Dedinitely get some lansinoh cream. It's expensive but lasts forever ( literally- I'm using the same tube I bought for baby. #1), and is a life saver for your nips . Also ring a bf advisor as they will normally offer to come out to visit you.

I know it feels never ending at the moment and I was dreading every night time as I spent all night looking at the clock while feeding her ( read three books in the first two weeks while sat in bed at night !). But it does get better.

It won't be a magic change one night but gradually it will start getting better. Plus you do start getting used to surviving off less sleep ( I normally need a good nine hours), plus try to nap on the day.

I'm awake a lot still during the night so if you need to chat just put a post on here  xx

• Jt- that is exactly what S does. Im pretty sure she isn't hungry as she falls asleep after 5 mins and can't be stirred if she's on my boob but as soon as she is put down she is wide awake and rooting again.

Yesterday and last night were much better even though S fed just as much. I think me accepting that this is all just as hard for her helped massively.  H and I even managed a quick 10 minute cuddle on her sofa last night which was lovely.

I'm going to look into the slings. If I could feed S in the sling then it wouldn't matter that she only falls asleep on me.

• Glad things are feeling better Sam. I told myself that S won't be this little forever so enjoy the cuddles while you can, even though its hard at times. You're doing a great job x

• Glad things are looking up Sam.

I'e found this post really interesting and the amound of similar ones recently a real eye opener!

My current plan is to spend the first week wandering around topless with just a sling on with baby snuggled up in there! :-)

• I didn't think it was going to be a breeze so was prepared for the hard work but just didn't realise just how much one little person could feed! What sling have you got mrsbass? Going to do a bit of sling research today I think.

• H likes this one www.closeparent.com/.../Default.aspx

which is basically a Close Caboo with a manly outer cover!

I think im goingt o try and pick up a cheap Moby too.

I know there have been a few threads on here about slings and wraps (I started one of them and I think OB one) so start by searching here for past threads! There are some great recomendations!

• I had a Moby - and although I never learnt to BF in it last time, I'm planning to learn this time on day1 (well okay maybe day2, LOL) but the Moby is fab - get in you tube to see videos with demo on how to tie Moby, how to get baby into /out of Moby and how to BF in Moby

• Midwife came today and was so so helpful. She really helped in making sure she is latched correctly and I don't think I have been doing it correctly which is obviously the cause of the sore nips! S fed when she was here and has been so much more settled and not looking for food since! Feel lots better already so fingers crossed with a good latch we might start getting a break in between feeds. I also had a text and a phone call from breastfeeding support at the hospital which I was very impressed with!

• That's fab Sam :-) Is there a local breastfeeding support group near you? I found them so helpful. Try googling your local SureStart or La Leche League

• That's really good that you've had some support. Echo what HF said about getting to a bf support group - I only went to my first one this week and I wish I'd gone a couple of weeks ago, they're so useful :)

• Will definitely look in to the breastfeeding group. I should be out and about next week so the sooner I can get to one the better.

I know its very early days but I already feel like a huge weight has been lifted with just the help I got today. Its amazing the difference in midwife to midwife as the one who came the day after we got home from hospital just seemed like she couldn't be bothered.

• Back to feeling like its all too much. Couldn't get her latched on properly all night which resulted in her not being settled and me seconds away from agreeing with h and telling him to go and get some formula.

I feel like an absolute failure and know that S isn't satisfied with what milk she has had over the night. I felt like she was latched on correctly at times but couldn't hear her gulping the milk like I could during the dau and her sucking was really shallow.

Confused as to whats best again

• Oh Sam :-( I obviously don't have any advice from experience that I can offer but just wanted to give you a big hug! Don't put too much pressure on yourself, my cousin switched to formula after a week because she couldn't cope any longer but I also know that everyone who persevered is glad they did. Defo try the breastfeeding support group, I'm planning to use my local one when the time comes! Xxx

• I feel so guilty this morning. S is asleep on my chest but is not completely settled and I know she is still hungry but I can't feed her. After seeing how content she was yesterday I feel awful. It is the happiest she has been since we came out of hospital.

• Please don't put so much pressure on yourself lovely xxx when S was little I couldn't always hear the sucking and swallowing either. Has she pooped yet? She might be a bit unsettled trying to go? Breastfeeding can really test your patience enormously at times. Try to relax a little bit, they can sense when you're stressed. It does get better I promise nut don't be so hard on yourself *hugs*

• She did 2 dirty nappies yesterday. Just managed to get her attached but she must have tired herself out so much that she only managed about 10 mins. She is now flat out.

It isn't just the sucking sounds but how I feel her suck which is how I know she isn't feeding properly. Its like there is nothing getting to her as her sucks are so shallow.

Im dreading her waking for the next feed already :-(