Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Im really confused (doesnt take much). Ive been told my mat pay from work is full pay for 6 months and then half pay for a further three months, then zilch. But SMP hasnt been mentioned. Is it included in my mat leave pay from work? Or do I have to apply for SMP seperately? Ive tried to ask my manager but she hasnt been in recently, the maternity policy is a novel and I cant understand it. Can anyone put it in plain english for me? 

Replies

• Wow thats good pay!!

As i understand it you are entitled to SMP at 90% for 6 weeks then basic rate SMP for 33 weeks. So to start with, if your full/ half pay runs out before the 33 weeks expires you would get a few weeks of basic SMP.

The way mat pay appears on my pay slip is the SMP element first (so £100-odd a week) and then another entry below for the "top up" my company give me i.e:

SMP - £600

Additional maternity - £200

Your employer deals with claiming the SMP element. So you get paid SMP by the state and your employer tops up to full/half pay.

Does that make any sense at all?? I am not great at explaining things!!

• Yes what MM said, your SMP is included in the totals you have been given. Great package!

• Ahhh that makes perfect sense thank you soooo much, I was just worried I needed to apply for something and hadnt done, Im really disorganised at the moment and only have a month left in work lol. Thank you again MM xxxx

• Thanks for replying TT, yey so glad I dont have to do anymore paperwork hahahah x

• Your work are giving you enhanced pay for the full period you are entitled to smp, so instead of you just getting smp, they are 'topping it up' to full pay or half pay, so this includes your smp, they just give you extra.

That's awesome mat pay!! Very impressed by your work!

• God I must type slow! Sorry I didn't realise everyone had replied, don't mean to just repeat the something!

• Thanks MDD I was quite shocked as to how good it was.I can see why so many of us try and take a full year off, I wont be able to but a lot do.

• hahahahahahaha MDD dont worry thats usually my trick hahahahaha x

• Just to mention a lot of companies with enhanced packages require the extra money they pay you to be paid back if you leave within a certain period after ml. Not a problem if you're planning on going back but worth checking out if you might want to leave

• Thanks Isis Im not planning on leaving anytime soon but if I did I would be in the same trust so I dont think that counts as actually leaving if that makes sense x

• Do you work for the nhs Luna? I do and the mat pay is quite good x

• Yup I do Daisy :) have you started mat leave yet? xxx

• Yes. I was signed off last week as just cannot work anymore with my SPD pain. So I'm now off til at least April. I have two weeks annual leave then start mat leave on 22nd July.  Just now have to rest but I keep adding to the list of stuff that I need to get done x

• awww hun not the nicest of reasons to have to start mat leave early :( hope you are ok. I'm on annual leave this week but going back to night shifts so trying to rest as much as possible but like you I just keep adding to things that need doing lol. Poor hubby is doing his nut in lol x

• So jealous of your mat package.

• I honestly didnt realise mat packages were so different from employer to employer! x