Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

chest infection with lingering cough - going back to Drs?

Isobelle had a really high temp last sun & was unlike herself. She'd had a cough for about 3 weeks which we thought had just about gone but by l;ast weekend it was even worse. On Monday we took her to the doctors & found that she had a chest infection. She hasn't now had a temp since Monday but she's still got a horrible cough (which she's passed to me & I feel like poo). Should I take her back in? Don't want to waste the dr's time but kinda need to know she's ok to go back to nursery on Monday.

Seems silly writing it down but have cotton wool for brains today!

Replies

• If it was me I wouldn't as the cough can last for a few weeks afterwards. If she's well in herself I'd send her to nursery.

• Thanks LLL, The dr phoned me back & said the same thing. I'm sure she'll be fine for nursery next week. I just wish she hadn't given it to me as I feel rotten!

• Chest infections mean coughing for weeks on end.  As long as the fever is gone I wouldn't worry just yet, because even if she's feeling better the cough will linger for a long time.  Sometimes chest infections can lead to secondary bacterial infections, though, which would require antibiotics.. so, if she's still feeling ill, tired, chest pain, etc by Monday I'd take her in.

What did the doctor recommend when you saw him before?

• She gave her antibiotics on Monday when we saw the dr but she said to bring her back if she got worse, but I guess even if her cough isn't much better she doesn't have a temp & is back to her normal active self! Will just have to see how she goes. Thanks ladies

• F was diagnosed with a chest infection nearly 4 weeks ago. The first course of antibiotics didn't clear it up so the doctor prescribed another lot. That finished at the weekend but yesterday he still sounded terrible when coughing so I rang the doctors again. Apparently the infection has now gone but the cough remains and, because it's all in his throat, it sounds worse than it is. Yesterday's appointment might have been a bit of a waste of time but I'd hate to think that he still had his infection and I just left it. Just to add, F didn't have a temp or any other symptoms with his chest infection - I only took him to drs in the first place because he'd had a lingering cough.

• Thanks WG, I'll definitely keep an eye on her cough. Hope F is feeling better x