Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Dairy allergy, heat rash or acne?

S has had a rash over his face and back if neck for a week now and it's worse now. It's definitely much worse when he's hot and shows more on the side of his face that rests on anything. He has got reflux too but on drugs is pretty comfortable now. He's bf except one bottle of formula.

Here's a picture, not the worst it's been

Replies

• Both of mine had a rash like that for a few weeks and I put it down to baby acne. Will see if I can find a pic of J to compare

• That looks a bit like the rash P had and they diagnosed acne. It went really dry and it went with Epaderm eventually. P's was only on her forehead though so S's might be something different x

• Thanks all.

MM- looks very similar to his when it's angry

• Had a look and can't actually find any pics where you can see it - think we were maybe terrible parents and didn't take many cos it wasn't pretty lol Embarrassed

• Does he have cradle cap?

• M has a very similar rash and is over her torso as well.  Me and the HV have just put it down to a combination of acne (face) and heat (body)

• No cradle cap but rash is on his scalp.

M- he does get very hot. Usually have him short sleeves.

Gp said it was just acne

• P had the rash all over her scalp too which went very dry and became cradle cap. The spots on her face also went very dry and scaly but it did go with Epaderm.

• C had a rash like this and it was just baby acne. S also had a rash, which I thought was baby acne, but didn't go away. S is milk intolerant and it was only after removing dairy that the rash went. You could see how it goes and if it doesn't start to get better soon, try cutting dairy out of your diet and see if it improves. Reflux is also a sign of milk intolerance. Speaking to other milk intolerant mums, BF babies don't tend to show as any obvious symptoms, so it isn't until weaning that their symptoms became apparent, therefore, the only way to really tell is to cut out the dairy and see what happens.

• Could be either really. Henry had it and was told milk spots (pretty bad though) yet as soon as he started on neocate it vanished. Pead said it was milk related for him

• L has just developed one a bit similar on her face, although not as bad, i asked the midwife and she said its just where the skin adjusts to the air and not to worry. I had the same when she was tiny but it didnt last very long.

• Es was like this.  The doctor wouldn't entertain it being anything other than a rash /acne.  O don't agree and Es been on reduced lactose milk since... it's cleared but guess I don't really have an answer as to what it is until weaning with lactose filled things begins as there is no way I'm switching formula.

• Thanks everyone.  It's worse today but he's been hot