Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Did anyone get periods whilst pregnant?

My friend has a little boy and didnt realize she was pregnant til 6 months gone because she was still having periods (although she now realises they were much lighter than usual) I was wondering if any ladies here experienced anything similar either with continuing periods or unknown pregnancy?

Replies

• Obviously not a pregnant person myself, but you could argue that the intermitment bleeding that some ladies experience during pregnancy could be confused with a period, if your periods were irregular before conception.  Ive often thought it must be a load of rubbish that they still have periods and never knew.

• As an avid watcher of 'I didn't know I was Pregnant!' I am led to believe it can happen, like if your periods were quite light anyway then the odd bleed would be easily confused for it. Mostly in that programme they are people who never get periods either cos they're on the pill or have a medical condition to be fair.

• When I was pregnant with my second I had bleeding at 4 and 9 weeks.  I had a scan that didn't show any problems and the midwife said that as the bleeding was about a month apart it could be like a period type bleed.  It was much, much lighter than a period, if I hadn't known I was pregnant I think I still would have questioned why it was so light and only lasted a day.  

• My friend had 'periods' all the way through her pregnancy. She was trying for a baby and did a pregnancy test every month and they came up negative. It was only when her breasts started leakign that she went to the GP because she was worried seh had breast cancer. The GP did a blood test which confirmed she was pregnant although the blood test impleid a very early pregnancy. She went for a scan and she turned out to be five months pregnant by the time she was scanned but for soem reason didn't produce a lot of the HCG which is the 'pregnancy' hormone.

• Hmm... So if you'd had two periods extremely light (usually 3 days now barely 1 day) would you think it silly to test? My last two periods were significantly different to usual and the one I had last week was almost non-existant really :/ but I don't know if I'm just trying to make something out nothing and it might just be stress that caused it? We are ttc this month anyway so guess I'll wait til end of this cycle now

• I dont think there is any harm in testing, at least it will put your mind at rest.

• Just in case anyone else reads this.. Did a test this evening and it was negative - best get on with the baby making this month!