Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Discipline - how and when

My nearly 17 month old who has started to test the boundaries - a lot! She knows when she's doing something she's not supposed to be as she looks and gives a certain smile and even sometimes waves - cheeky madam! 

Her current thing is climbing onto the sofa next to the crib when her little sister is asleep in it (no easy task in itself!) and hitting her. I'd say its a cry for my attention apart from I always try to sit and play with her when I do get the baby down for a nap. 

Is it possible to discipline at her age? I've tried telling her no and moving her away but she just smiles or laughs and tries to get back up again. I've also tried turning off the tv (if she happened to have it on at the time) - that resulted in a massive tantrum which woke the baby. Oh, and then she went up to the tv and turned it back on again.

Does anyone have any advice please? TIA x

Replies

• Options

They are frustrating when they start pushing the boundaries but have limited understanding for explanations.

Develop a short sharp "no" - its tone of voice more than the word.

Don't waste your time trying to explain in detail keep it simple. So "no climbing" rather than "don't climb and wake the baby".

Try to use distraction to avoid the tantrum trigger points as much as possible. But don't be afraid of the tantrums they are how they learn where the boundaries are. My daughter was at her worse between about 16 months and 2 years. She'd throw herself on the floor and bang her head. I just used to put her in her cot and let her get on with it.

• Options

Positive disciple might be a way to go. So lots of praise for the good things so she links having you attention for that rather than for the things she shouldn't be doing. Also distraction a good thing at her age. Think "What we pay attention to is what we get more of".

• Options

Thanks both - will practise my supernanny low and firm no!