Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Erm, can I ask a really silly question about labour ?

Please don't laugh at me, I'm only 36+4 so I'm sure I am being silly.

Yesterday I  hardly had any movement from Noodles but in the evening did start to have what I am presuming are braxton hicks, feels like my bump is tightening up, stays like that for a bit and then relaxes off.  Oh and my bump as felt very very low, like i need to hold the bottom of it when I'm walking.

They have carried on again today but now I also feel like I have pressure in my bottom, it feels like something is pressing down.

This is just late pregnancy isn't it ?  I don't need to thinking I am going in to early labour do I ?

Replies

• Sounds like baby has dropped. And the tightenings are probably Braxton hicks. Trust me, you will notice a difference between them and real contractions!

• You wouldn't think I'd done this before would you.  Last time my contractions were all in my back and tbh felt like period pains for a very long time, hence being a bit wary this time of things being different.

• My contractions felt like period pains too. Sounds like bh x

• yes my labour with isaac was exactly the same (sorry)

i had no idea it was labour as i just assumed i was having a section and that was that Laugh

basically at 38+2 i was totally exhausted, very little movement, i sent L to the cm all day an dslept (all day!!)

throughout the night i had these on off tightenings (no pain at all) and i assumed BH, i got up in the morning and felt wide awake, i was having these tightenings and heartnurse said i needed to time them as BH dont go on for long, so they were coming every 3 ish mins, i phoned labour ward and they told me they were bh as there was no pain at all

later that day i was getting the tightenings every 2 mins and with each tightening it felt like i was going to wee, it felt like i was going to drop the baby with every step i took, again phoned labour ward who said i wasnt in labour they asked me to go in for monitoring, the ctg showed labour but the monitor didnt pick up strong contractions and i was sent home (i didnt know this till i had isaac as they came back and told me i should have been admitted then)

anyway i went for a bath and the tightenings continued and i posted on hitched and was told it was normal, i posted on DW (being a tad OTT Laugh and i cant remember who it was but they told me that i need to insist on propper monitoring and that as isaac was transverse then i had to get checked out again

so went in again, walked downt he corridor, this mw who was about 80 (no joke!) said by taking one look at me she knew i was in labour....i was 5cm dilated Eek

can you go for a bath and see if the tightenings settle?

• CP, I know I shouldn't say this but I rather hope this is it, even though it is pretty unlikely given zoe was almost 2 weeks late

• erm, lucas was 10 days late! so factoring that and the fact i was having a planned section into things, i was absolutely flabberghasted when they said iw as in labour Laugh