Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

First fertility appointment advice *updated*

I have my first appointment with a fertility consultant on Thursday and was just wondering what to expect? Did you take your H with you?

I've had day 3/21 bloods done which showed I'm ovulating although irregularly, hormone tests (normal) and an ultrasound which showed I have a large right ovary which has several small cysts. 

Will they want to do more tests or are they likely to just put me on medication straight away?

Thanks in advance xxx

Replies

• no advice but just wanted to say I hope the appointment goes well x

• Hi Browny,

Good luck for Thursday - as scary as it is, it is the start of something great, and we are all here for support should you need us.

Yes I took my H, our case sounds quite different to you as he had poor sperm, so obviously needed to be there. They explained his results, got him to do blood tests, and then went straight to discussing IVF/ICSI with us and we saw the IVF Nurse and started the paperwork that day! So because we had a definite thing going on, and nothing with me, it was probably quite simple to get us started, hopefully you will get some answers and an action plan in place fairly quickly.

Personally, I would have wanted my H there anyway for support and to take in all the information, but I guess if his SA was fine they might not need him to do anything.

Good luck and if you have any other questions just shout x

• Hubby came with me, i would also recommend that if you have copies of any relevant test results you take them too, if you dont have them your surgery can provide them at no charge if you state it is for your hospital appointment. - although dont worry if you are unable to obtain them as your consultant would probably be able to look them up on the computer system - it just helps to have them to hand right away.

They may want to do repeat bloods and may ask for your hubby to do an SA , they will probably also go through some general health questions and family history , i very much doubt you will be put on meds right away  but your options will certainly be discussed.

Good luck! x x x

• My blog piece about our first app (last Friday) will be on Riding the Stork at 2pm. Read all about it!

• Oh and my H had to come as we had to be seen as a couple.

Most people will end up having more tests before starting meds. But you may be the exception to the rule!

• Thanks for all your help/advice! I'm quite nervous about it. I have asked H to come but just wondered if he was supposed to go or not. How long did the appointment last? I haven't told my boss (just said I have a doctors appointment) but he's trying to get me to cover something an hour after my appointment and I've told him I can't do it but can't really explain why which I think he's peed off at! H has already had a SA and it was normal so it's a problem with me :(

I am looking forwards to having a plan, I just hope it's something that is easily fixed iykwim?

Thanks again for your comments and words of encouragement! X

• H came with me, yes. Were the bloods done by your GP? If so, they will probably repeat all of that and a SA. I was also sent for a HSG but I think that varies between trusts. I saw the nurse first just for basic height, weight, BP etc. then went through to the consultant fpr just a basic chst really. He asked how long we'd been TTC and how often we DTD, explained what tests he wanted and the next steps.

Good luck x

• No advice Browny, but hoping the appointment goes OK and you get whatever answers and help you need. Good luck.

• No advice but wishing you all the best at your appointment tomorrow!

• Yes my tests were done by the GP so guess I'll have to have them done again :/

Thanks ducky I better make sure I'm ready for the possibility of an examination then just in case!

Thanks for all your well-wishes they really mean a lot! Especially as I haven't been on very much in the last couple of months but its all just getting a bit much for me at the moment! X

• I would take hubby with me, this isn't an issue with you as a person, it's your conception as a couple.  I would want him there.  Good luck, let us know how you geto n xx

• Im sure it will be just fine love, just prepare for anything but dont be surprised if things arent what we have suggested on here the clinics really do differ so so much from one to another and even one consultant to another within the same clinic, i agree with HT they may want to repeat your hubby's SA and maybe even do some bloods for him too, but that will all come from what results from your appointment, and weather they do feel it really is an issue with you that needs addressing or weather they feel its still worth double checking things with your H.  x

• No advice Browny but just wanted to wish you well & loads of luck for the app! x

• Hello Browny-sorry not to have seen you around for a while. How are you doing? Hope you and your mum are both ok xx

My first appointment I took H along and tbh I think they expected to see him because fertility is a joint problem as it is two of you ttc. I was examined and swabs taken and we were given all the forms for various bloods (both of us), ultrasound (to include follicular count which you may not have had done) and HSG. All of the tests for me had to happen at certain cycle days so there was a lot of waiting after then for anything to happen but at least we had a plan. Our tests have come back saying there is nothing wrong with either of us so don't assume this is all about you just yet. There's a few of us just a few weeks ahead of you on dttc (when there's a thread) so pop in anytime you want some moral support.

Xxx

• Thanks KK - we're doing ok we had a lovely time in NZ but it was hard to leave! The break did me the world of good. I thought they might want to do more tests but was secretly hoping they would just get down to it quickly but I guess that's wishful thinking.

I'll let you all know how I get on xxx

• Just a quick update for those that asked. Appointment went ok and I was prodded and had another internal which was quite uncomfortable and now I have stomach ache :(

She concluded by saying it looks as if I might have a polycystic ovary and therefore will move to prescribe clomid but once they've done a hycosy (like a HSG) and a repeat SA of H. So I have to book that on the first day of my next cycle for before CD11. Then book another appointment for the results/clomid.

At least I have a plan but still disappointed we're at this point.

Also why can't they do these appointments in another area of the hospital and not with antenatal? It was horrible sitting there with lots of pregnant people :(

• Hey Brownie, glad you have a plan but totally understand the upset and disappointment. That's terrible you were with ante natal, I have heard that before, it luckily wasn't the case with us - very inapprorpriate. Well done though - it's done now and this is the start of moving forwards on your journey to becoming parents xx

• Glad you have a plan in place, but can see why you are dissapointed, stay positive x

• I know that disappointed feeling Browny.

I am having a HyCoSy instead of an HSG too. The main difference is an HSG is visualised under x ray and so there is the risk of radiating the egg, the HyCoSy is visualised using ultrasound.

I'm glad you have a plan though and t is good they are checking your tubes too. If you're anything like me, the next appointment feels like ages away and I want to get started yesterday!