Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Gestational Diabetes support thread!

Hey!

Was hoping to start this a few weeks ago but I have been distracted!

Will do a little about me diagnosis - Diagnosed at 17 week's because of a previous 2nd tri miscarriage they wanted me tested early. I was only just over the upper limit.

The diabetic nurse think's I will be okay with just diet controlling it at the moment- and so far so good.. I have had one or two higher number's but no one seem's concerned about them, generally my levels have been very good.

How is everyone getting on?

I am counting down the weeks to hopefully stop doing this and have told H if I get the all clear after giving birth he better have a massive cake and a massive bottle of full fat coke for me lol!

I don't have too see the consultant until the 11th of september - The dietician was happy for me to just call her if my sugars have been on the high side.  So fingers crossed I wont have to call her at all! 

Replies

• Ooooo only just seen this!! Great idea peanut cupcake.

It sounds like you managing this all well, how are you getting on with choosing what to eat? This is where I am struggling.

I was diagnosed at 30 weeks, so it's all still relatively new to me too. Diabetic nurse has been happy so far with my readings, like you I've had one or two high readings but they were not concerned, so continuing to manage it through diet. I do find I'm eating the same things every day as I know they're "safe foods". I can see that I need to add some.variety soon as I will get very bored very quickly otherwise.

Consultant have told me that it will be likely that I will deliver at 39 weeks as they don't like to go to 40 weeks, but I'll find out more on the 18th when I'll be 36 weeks.

I'm finding the whole thing scary!

• I am finding it pretty easy with regards to food but I am really strict with myself!

I found the BBC good food website really good for recipes :)

Glad diabetic nurse is happy with you! Fingers crossed you find out more soon!  But yay to meeting baby early! Have you been having scans?

Me too it makes me nervous about size mainly! I am pretty easy going so will be happy with what they suggest birth plan wise its just the size that scares me! 

Nervous about the 11th tho :)

• I've just had it confirmed that I have GD again today, I'm 19+2.  I had it last time and my son only weighed 6lb 11oz, 1.5lb less than his older brother who I didn't have it with so don't worry too much about the size.

Have picked up my glucose monitor today and have a clinic appointment on Wednesday so will see how I get on until then.  Last time I was on metformin and insulin by the end so expecting the same this time.  I was told it usually gets harder to control the further pg you get so not looking forwards to that again!

• Thanks for the tip of bbc good food - I've had a look and there are some good recipes on there.

I had a scan last week and will have another in 3 weeks time. They're not too concerned at this stage as baby is still within normal size range, just the larger side. If Baby had been large already then they probably would have wanted to see me before 36 weeks.

Have you had additional scans too or just the usual 2 so far?

• Hi Alaina!

I hope you get on OK with the testing this time around and don't require Meds.

With your last pregnancy did you go to full term?

How do you feel about going through it all again?

• Heg Alaina, Sorry to hear you have joined us! I hope you dont need meds I heared that too about it getting harder towards the end..I want to go aslong as I can lol!

Boo - Glad baby is within normal weight let's hope it stays in them!

I have had other 2 scan but other reasons I know I have to have more though no dates yet or anything!

• My son was born at 37+4 due to high BP, I have more trouble with my BP than the GD (my older boys born at 34&37 weeks) I have growth scans booked at 28, 32 and 36 weeks already.