Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Grobag users ...

We never used grobags with Zoe as she hated being restricted at all and was also a very hot baby.  Last night I put one on Orla for the first time and she seemed to have no such issues with it.
What I am trying to work out is when to put her in it.  She is 6 weeks old so doesn't really have a bed time.  She falls asleep in the sitting room with me and then I take her through to the bedroom when I go to bed.  She lives in babygrows so I only change her if one is dirty so she isn't getting ready for bed so to speak.  I put her grobag on at 2am as that is when she first woke for a feed, but that seems a bit illogical.

When do you put your baby, especially newborns, into their grobag ?

Replies

• I did it at whichever feed was nearest seven pm as that would then be bedtime and I would put h down in his Moses basket upstairs...

• we had a bedtime routine with ours right from the start, week 2 or 3 i think. 6.30pm bath, into sleepsuit and bag, milk and bed. Do you darken the room/make it like night in the evening when she's downstairs with you? i cant see how you can fit it in without some other routine around it, no point in waking her when you go up to bed to do it and it does seem rather random to do it at 2am or whenever she wakes! Maybe start some form of routine around her evening feed? not nec bathing if you dont want but into bag before evening feed and then in darkened room after that so she gets the idea of 'night'? i am a routine queen though so i appreciate this may not work for some!

• Obviously easier to do with one child as I would then lay on the bed too.

• No, no darkened room or anything.  She just falls asleep on me, or in the bouncy chair, and then I move her when I go to bed.  I don't know that I can cope with adding in another bedtime on top of Zoe's.  As I'm on my own it is kind of difficult.  Maybe this is another reason why we never really used them with Zoe !

• I can imagine it is very hard to do 2 on your own (I dread the days when i'm on my own for bath/bed!). i guess your best bet would be to pop Orla in it at the next feed after Zoe has gone to bed. is it possible to dim the lights a bit after this too? just to hint at a bedtime which may make it easier when you are ready to try and do a 'proper' bedtime with her? is there a reason you particularly want to use them this time?

• We didn't use grobags at newborn but instead swaddled and would do so when we carried her to bed for our bedtime. She'd normally sleep downstairs in her carrycot with a blanket until then.

• I do it before the last feed before he goes into his crib so its on and he is all snug whilst he falls asleep and then is literally just put into crib as he is. Even if his babygrow isn't dirty I change it so do nappy, change of clothes, gro bag, feed, sleep.

• I put Samuel in his when we go up to bed, I just lay it in the cot and put him down then zip it up around him, doesn't wake him up

• Jb if you're moving her when you go to bed then I'd have it open wherever she's going to sleep and then put her on top and zip up around her when you go up.

• Oh yes, laying it on my bed ready for me to take her in might work.  I always feel like I'm carrying a ticking time bomb at that time so hadn't really thought of that.  don't know why given she sleeps with a loud 4yr old around during the day, who likes to poke her or scream in her ear, so why I think me popping her in to a grobag would wake her I don't know.

• Same as Isis and Ally, we laid it out in the cot, put him in the did it up, he didn't wake up any more because of the grobag than he did because of being put down.