Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How big is your house? What size makes a good family home?

2»

Replies

• Options

We really had to compromise as we live in London/SE where prices are ridiculous.

We ideally wanted a house, but for our desired location it was out of budget.  We opted for 3 bedroom flat as it's a lovely, quiet road and 5 mins from  Surbiton station with great train links.  H works in London and long hours so needed train station no more than 5 mins away with good train links.

We wanted 3 bedrooms so we wouldn't outgrow it too soon, with a quiet location and our own parking space.  Location was key so we pay a premium for being in a great road.  Downside is no garden, although we do have a roof terrace.

• Options

I had some girlfriends over Fri night and we were talking houses... The top 3 seemed to be:

Decent sized space to have a table for eating (or painting/homework etc)

Space for washing m/c, tumbler, dishwasher, (and separate freezer if you have one)

Parking, close enough if not on site.

:)

• Options

I think we bought our house a little hastily. It's a new build (which I said I'd never do) so the garden is quite small & parking can be a nightmare. We've got a townhouse so we have 4 bedrooms over 2 floors which are lovely & big (with 1 ensuite), trouble is the downstairs is quite small with just a kitchen & living room/dining room combined. Since we bought we've both changed jobs & commute about 45-50 in roughly the same direction. The trouble is we'd love to move closer to where we work but the areas are some of the most expensive in the country & with me only working part time (soon to be on ML & possibly not going back) we can't find a house for roughly the same size for what we originally paid. I desperately want a separate dinning room with more room downstairs. I keep looking on the property websites but think it's not really gonna happen unless we win the lottery!!

• Options

We have a 3 bed semi detached but its an old 1930's semi, which is on a substantial amount of land. We have enough space on our drive to park 4 cars. We compromised the lack of upstairs bathroom as it has the potential to extend on the side of the house and up. We have a 100 ft garden and a conservatory and we are surrounded by fields on the edge of a village. If we were to move, itd ideally be to a 4 bed but no plans as yet. This house would be quite sufficient for another child unless we win the lottery! :-)