Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Humour me please! (Stretch and Sweeps)

After a night of intense stomach cramps, I had a stretch and sweep yesterday morning and was told that I was 1-2cm dilated and my cervix was soft and stretchy.  Since then I have had constant back ache and period-type pains. My plug has also been falling away since the night before the sweep and ever since. No contractions however.

if you had a S&S, how long until you went into active labour?

x

Replies

• I had a sweep on the weds morning, E was born Saturday night.

I do think it got things going as I was uncomfortable on the weds and having irregular contractions on the thurs and Friday.

• Just to add -

I'm not sure when I started being in proper active labour. My contractions were still irregular on the Saturday morning but I was 3/4cm dilated.

• THIS IS VERY EXCITING!!! Good luck lovely lady x

PS - A bit different as I was being induced, but I was 3cm at sweep at 1130 a.m. and Samuel was born at 2 a.m. the next morning so pretty darn quickly!

• I went 11 days overdue and had 3 sweeps in that time.   I eventually went into labour 48 hrs after the last sweep.  I honestly don't think they did anything.

• I had 4 sweeps in total and was 10days overdue. I don't believe they did much either, however it was nice to know my progress along the way. I was 2cm during each and favourable too. I had the fourth sweep on the Friday and he was born on the Sunday but think he was ready by then anyway. It sounds quite promising for you though Smile fingers crossed things get going for you.

• Sweep on the weds AM, baby by thurs night, mind you this was for my 2nd pregnancy.

This is very exciting! Hope things get moving very soon for you xxx

• Sounds like a mixed bag then. Am bouncing on ball like a mad woman and intend on going for a long walk with H soon. Come on baby!

• I was the same as you at my sweep and contracting started 24hes later and he was born 7 hours after that. Hope your well on your way now z

• I had 4 sweeps. After the third which was Monday, I went for a HUGE stomp around the local nature reserve in the rain, in a strop because H wouldn't come with me, and starting contractions that night after a little show.

The fourth sweep however was on Thursday and I had been in labour since the Monday night, going in and out of hospital and being told that yes I was having contractions but I wasn't dilated enough to stay in. E was born Saturday evening.

So for me, I think it got things started but didn't influence when she came x

• Haf 2 sweeps second was the friday but cetvix high and firm and 1cm. Went into labour on monday. I dont think it wl be long for you now!!

• With my 1st baby the sweeps did nothing, 2nd pregnancy I had a sweep on the Monday morning and went into labour in the early hours of the Tuesday morning

• Thanks ladies, it's good to hear about your experiences! Am still here unfortunately but am hoping it won't be long until things get going again after stopping for a while (wishful thinking?!?!)

• First time I had a sweep on Thursday morning, contractions started Friday and she was born Saturday 4pm.

Second time I had sweep 40+2, which did nothing. Another at +5 and he was born at 6 days over.