Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I've made a list - Some questions (pregnancy/labour/newborn)

Yes. It's taken me until now to make a list for my poor neglected second baby!

Rusty made me panic today as I realised I've bought nothing so far Laugh (25+0)

Questions:

1) N was 6lb 15oz so would I be safe to assume baby is *likely* to be similar? I need a few new white first sleepsuits so was going to go for the 'up to 7.5lb' size? Only going to buy a 3 pack but need them as we binned N's poo stained first white ones!

2) Remind me how often I will change my maternity pads?! I think I got 3 packs of the giant ones last time and took one or two packs with me to hospital??

3) Can anyone remind me at what stage I start on Raspberry Leaf Tea and also when I'm supposed to start on arnica tablets??

I'm sure I'll think of more!

TIA x

Replies

• I would go for the up to 7.5lb size, you can always send your H out to buy a different size if needed

I think 3 packs will do to start with but I'm sure I ended up buying more as I was so sore from stitches that I preferred using these for the padding :-)

RLT from 37 weeks IIRC. Can't remember about the arnica though

• 1.) E was 7lb 6 and she stayed in first size for about a month the went in to 0-3.

2.) can't really help with maternity pads! I've forgotten too but would think 2 packs would be plenty to take to hospital.

3.) You can take the rasperry leaf capsules from 37 weeks!

I'm sure some one else will give a better answer, ive forgotten too! Laugh

• I'm not the best to advise on newborn stuff as I'll either have a teeny prem or massive term baby so I'll prob get a 0-3 month set. I think 2nd are usually a bit bigger. I got through 3 packs of pads pre birth but probably only a pack in hospital after. Depends how long you're in for I guess. Think I changed every 4 hours or so. Was that you in mothercare today btw? Was going to say hello but didn't in case it wasn't!

• I had 3 packs of the giant pads and used two at time for a few days. Then switched to the slimline maternity ones. I started the raspberry leaf at 34 weeks, doing the gradual i crease as each week passed. No idea with arnica.

• Is this the same Hepburn? Hehe!

1. In our case, L was 6lb 13. I was expecting a similar size baby, but A was 8lb, and outgrew his newborn stuff within 10 days.

2. I think I used 2 packs, and then moved on to the always ultra. I had very little discomfort with stitches, so I moved on as soon as I could.

3. IIRC, you start on the RLT around 34-35 wks, building up slowly.

• Thanks girls, I'll go for the up to 7.5lb size initially, I'm sure H can pop out if required when baby arrives.

As for mat pads, I forgot that I used them while I was leaking water too, shall buy a few extra and maybe a slim pack just in case.

RL tea seems to be 34-37 weeks then? It was my NCT teacher who recommended Arnica but I can't recall how much I took and from when!

• I can't answer Q3 but M was massive and just about fit into newborn. I think I'll get a few newborn and a few 0-3.

Possibly different post section as I didn't bleed much and went straight to using panty liners, for a few weeks. I'd take in one packet. Leave more at home for S to bring in if you need and then if you don't need them, I'll steal them from you!

• I took arnica after birth for a few weeks, nothing before.

• Hep, I am 25+2 and not even considered buying anything yet!!  I guess I will get a pack of up to 7.5lbs and a pack of the next size up.  I did lend a friend all my newborn stuff so am meeting her soon to get it back so will probably be able to reuse most stuff unless she trashed it all as we only had neutral stuff when I was first born.  

As I am being so blase I thought it might be nice for baby to have it's own coming home babygrow!!

• Oh and pad wise I must be odd as I couldn't stand the thick ones and went straight for the slimline ones from Mothercare which were far more comfortable than a big brick pushing on my sore bits.

• I will probably do what I did with M too, which was to take a girl outfit and a boy outfit. I donated the boy one to the hospital.

• I'm glad it's not just me VE!

Anything I don't use is yours Rusty Big Smile

I'll buy the up to 7.5lb stuff but fish out some neutral bits in the next size up just in case from Ned's stuff. It can't be that difficult can it?! I'm already overthinking it!

• You are so, so organised woman!

I would buy a couple of packs of the up to 7.5lbs sleep suits etc (open and wash one and leave the other packet intact so you can take it back/ swap it if needs be).

Maternity pads - 2 big packs. Remember shops will still be open after you've had the baby ;-) so you can restock! I liked the Kotex nighttime pads after the initial gruesomeness had passed after the first day or so.

RLT - from 37 weeks I think and arnica from when you go into labour (what my homeopath said but completely forgot!).

• I'm sure I took arnica from about 38 weeks?? Am I remembering it wrong I wonder... Also I can't recall if I took the 6c or 30c....

• arnica was from when labour started onwards, 6c, I think its the lower the better.  Raspberry tealeaf not before 37 weeks.

Iz was 8lb 6.5oz and J was 9lb 12.5oz so I think the theory of bigger second babies has some truth.  

• A was 4 days late and 8lbs 3oz so i was expecting no 2 to be similar but R arrived 3 days early and was only 7lbs 6oz - all of A's outfits and the new one i bought for him to come home in were way too big so we had to buy some newborn babygrows which he is still in at nearly 3 weeks.

Mat pads - i took 1 pack into hospital and used most of it (was there 1 night) but have used a couple more packs for padding as i had stitches.

RLT from 37 weeks building up the dose - no idea if they work but i have taken it both times and had a quick 1st labour and a v quick 2nd labour (R was born less than 40 mins after we got to hospital)!

• Ooh, I'm keeping a note of all this!!  But a quick question - what are the arnica tablets for?

• Arnica helps reduce bruising and swelling which is usually fairly bad after childbirth (natural or c section)

They recommend the tablets (available in boots)

• Aaah, thanks Hep. I might be getting some of them then.  I'll ask my midwife at my appt this morning.

• I googled the arnica thing Hepburn. It says start taking a few days before due date and continue for ten days post birth. 6c is all you can buy over the counter but you can be prescribed 30c. Both amounts are fine to take twice a day even when breast feeding.