Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Ideas/help for negotiating mat pay?

Replies

• Custard

I'd start by asking for 6 months / a year full pay. Clearly he'll say no but might give him an idea of what you're expecting!

I wondered this too! But no one suggested it. I thought if he's going to start low I should start high ;)

• jelly baby

I would think that were an employer to negotiate an enhanced maternity package for one employee they would have to offer it to all.  

Oh, and I know I have a chip on my shoulder about this so apologies, but to some people the rate of SMP is pretty much their wage ... and by some people I mean me ... so to say "I need to earn a wage" can be a bit insulting.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry! It's just I need to be working. It's how it is for us. We can manage the other way a bit better but not if it's me that's off. I didn't mean to insult anybody.

• Hmmm. On one hand I say if you're going to negotiate, or at least attempt to, ask for more than you actually want so when you (appear to) make concessions, they think they've got the better of you.

On the other hand, I'm not sure you're in a strong position to negotiate mat pay anyway. SMP is fairly standard across many industries and I think in a lot of places they don't feel a need to offer an enhanced package as many people think that you're lucky you have a job. Crap, but there it is. I've been on SMP with both my mat leaves and it is HARD making ends meet.

• Mrs 50s

I think you're trying to take the mickey a bit tbh. The fact that the workforce is mainly male is irrelevant;

I only mentioned it in the context of where my boss is coming from - i.e. it's a hassle he never has to deal with. If I asked for 3 months paid because I'd hurt myself on the equipment he'd be fine with it.He's just not used to this so there's no precedent.

• weekender

Counter could you not negotiate a performance bonus instead if you are only member of management team not on one?  And save that towards mat leave?  then you'd get that every year too, but doesn't give them a headache of coming up with a maternity policy whereby their staff would be entitled to 8 weeks full pay (because I can't see how they could do that for you but not for the other people in the organisation who could go on mat leave)

I wondered that. I thought I could use that as my back-up argument if I don't get anywhere, and we could maybe borrow some money until the bonus came through - a bit messy but worth a shot.

I am not sure it would make any difference regarding a different package for me, there's a few things about my contract that's different. I work in head office and not in one of the companies so there's half-policies lying around all over the place! But yes, he might see it as opening the floodgates (although there's only 2 others here who might be in a position to have babies one day, at the moment)

• jelly baby

Could be worth looking at what other employers within your industry offer and using that as a bargaining tool.   Within my industry no one pays more that SMP because we are a female heavy, low paid industry so it just isn't worth their while.   Mr JB used to work in financial services, as do several of our friends, and the norm for them is 6 mths paid.

That's a really good idea. I can't believe I haven't asked the agencies. I have spoken to them broadly about getting my cover in but not how long the standard is. I am going to try and find out!

• I may be missing something really obvious, but what's in it for them to negotiate? You've already told them you're pregnant so you can't threaten to leave and go somewhere that offers better benefits. Also, you say they're not happy about the situation already so why would they want to give you extra time off if they don't have to?

Just a musing, but if you'd only 'just' manage on 90% - what are you going to do about childcare fees once you go back after 6 weeks? Or do you have family available?

• I had another thought (in my 'overdue' state!) What if you go 2 weeks overdue? You could be having your baby at the end of your 6 weeks...!!

• Mrs 50s

I had another thought (in my 'overdue' state!) What if you go 2 weeks overdue? You could be having your baby at the end of your 6 weeks...!!

I know! Harry was very late. Which is why I'm hoping to stay as late as possible :)

• If you need that wage, then you have to go back early or save as much of your earnings as you can now to tide you over. It's things like this we have to think about before we're lucky enough to get pregnant.

The fact that the rest of the workforce is male does not mean you're entitled to anything more than you are.

I'm wondering if you go to your boss with a proposal, he's going to be irritated too.

• kharv

I may be missing something really obvious, but what's in it for them to negotiate? You've already told them you're pregnant so you can't threaten to leave and go somewhere that offers better benefits. Also, you say they're not happy about the situation already so why would they want to give you extra time off if they don't have to?

Just a musing, but if you'd only 'just' manage on 90% - what are you going to do about childcare fees once you go back after 6 weeks? Or do you have family available?

Motivation for them to negotiate? Obviously I am hoping (hard) they'll want to keep me. I am (currently) doing the best job of anyone they've had in post for years. And there's guy who's leaving who earns 6 figs so they are making significant savings there because I am taking some of his work on, albeit with a slightly enhanced team. They chose me so I would step up and enable him to leave. I have also saved them a few quid elsewhere and in cost savings and sorting revenue reporting. If I wasn't pregnant I had planned to ask for a hefty payrise in March and think I would have had a chance of getting it.

Well yes, childcare, it was going to be a family member but that can't happen now so we're looking at our options, we can cover some of it with family but not sure we want to long term, but it's good in the short term. Autumn next year our outgoings go down significantly on 2 areas so it would be much more manageable, and the house will be finished by then too. But that's a few months away from when we need the savings.

• if the absolute worst came to the worst my husband would take extended leave from work/go part-time and I'd go back after the 6 weeks (I maybe would have 2 or 3 weeks leave to take too), the aim is to get the best outcome and we'd both like me to be off more than the minimum if it were possible. It may not be.

• Cilla

If you need that wage, then you have to go back early or save as much of your earnings as you can now to tide you over. It's things like this we have to think about before we're lucky enough to get pregnant.

The fact that the rest of the workforce is male does not mean you're entitled to anything more than you are.

I'm wondering if you go to your boss with a proposal, he's going to be irritated too.

I didn't know if I'd even get pregnant so I couldn't stay in a job that was unsuitable in case I needed mat benefits. I don't think I am entitled to more than the rest of the workforce, but currently I am behind my peers (there's 5 or 6 of us) so I thought it might be useful to try and negotiate.

Do you think I am wrong to try and negotiate better benefits for myself? I sort of read that from the post but could be barking up the wrong tree!

• But what I mean is, you're pregnant now. They know this (and they're not happy about it). You're not going to leave before maternity as they know you definitely won't get any more elsewhere. Reading the other thread you say you want to return for a couple of days for a couple of months then 75% before going back to full time. Well then, they know you're not going to leave after maternity as they know you are very unlikely to find a job that allows you to do this.

Even if you don't tell them about wanting to return part time initially, they are not going to think you're going to move somewhere else as what would be the benefit to you to do that? the time to negotiate maternity benefits is before you plan to get pregnant - then you have some leverage. At the minute I just don't see that you have any, sorry.

• Sorry, not sure if I've misled you. It's more about them investing in me because they want me to stay long term and help with the long term objectives, because they trust me and I do a good job. When I say about them wanting to keep me it's that really I mean. Not that I'd threaten to leave tomorrow if I didn't get what I wanted. I've been working some very long hours and have achieved some key objectives no one else has been able to as yet and I'd hope they'd see the commitment from me and want that over the next few years. Hope that makes a bit more sense.

• Counter, exactly, but you don't want to use the threat of no return after baby as a reason for them to pay you maternity leave? When to me, that is what your argument is about - that you're committed and want to stay that way, so feel they 'owe' you?

• I kinda feel sorry for your company. You must have got pregnant within a few weeks of starting with them, and aren't you planning to try again very quickly? There's a woman at our place who got pregnant really quickly and went off on maternity, then came back and did it again within a couple of months. She's got away with it because legally they can't do anything but everyone thinks her behaviour is shocking.

Whatever you plan to do for them long term, right now you've pissed them off and put them in an awkward position. If I were them I wouldn't give you an enhanced maternity. Why would they.

Having said that, all you can do is ask the question. If they so no then at least you tried. If they do offer you something then you should count yourself lucky and snap their hand off, even if it's not as much as you want.

• I really don't understand why you think they would give you anything enhanced.

You knew your contract didn't offer anything enhanced so you got pregnant knowing that you'd only be entitled to SMP (anything extra being a bonus). You are now saying that you can't afford to live if they don't pay you extra? Can you not make cutbacks at home, even if it means living slightly less luxuriously for a while?!

IMO you are taking the mickey.

Having got pregnant so early into your employment your employer may feel somewhat tricked (rightly or wrongly) therefore they will likely not be inclined to take you at face value with any assurances about your performance and commitment after mat leave.

If you don't ask you don't get but I wouldn't be too hopeful if I were you.

• i wouldnt push it becasue no matter how good you are at your job, noone is irreplaceable !

• Whether it's right or wrong, you've nothing to lose by asking. I'd be more inclined to try and negotiate a performance bonus if I were you, it would seem less like you're asking for money for nothing (poorly phrased but hopefully you get my drift), you'd then get it every year as there's more incentive for them. I would however ensure that it's a performance related bonus and not discretionary.

I would do the research on standard mat pay in your industry, but keep it in your ba