Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Ideas/help for negotiating mat pay?

124»

Replies

• DumbleSpud

AutumnRose

I think some of the replies have perhaps been a tad harsh on counter! Whenever someone asks on here about starting a new job when TTC everyone always says go for it as you don't know how long things will take. Timing isn't always perfect, that's life!

I think there is no harm in asking. I work in the independent sector and only get SMP, if i worked in the state sector in exactly the same job i'd have had an enhanced package (and no my salary isn't higher that it would be in state sector). My friend and i were pregnant with our first children together and so went to see our boss to ask her about this. We didn't get anywhere but it didn't cause any ill-will and she understood why we would ask.

Counter i think your best options are to 1. research the industry standard and see if that might give you a negotiating possibility or 2. discuss a performance related bonus based on your work so far.

Totally agree with this. 

quite. It's like people are saying "how DARE someone ask for more than they are due!"  I have no problem with someone attempting to negotiate additional maternity pay, but I'm just not sure counter's in the best position.

i actually think BG's suggestion of a performance related bonus is much better as if counter is performing as she says, she should achieve this every year, plus this will have a longer lasting effect on the family's income. 

• Wowsers what a lovely bunch of gals we have here on the BT board!

Counter I think BG's suggestion of a performance related bonus is your best option. May I ask why you aren't receiving one now but everyone else is?

I worked in my old job for 10years and only got SMP. H and I had t save like crazy to cover the shortfall every month whilst I was on ML. I now work for one of the biggest Private Equity companies in the world and they only offer SMP. A colleague attempted to enhance the company maternity policy and took it to our European HR committee but it was flatly refused on the grounds SMP is there why should they offer more.

Good luck whatever you decide to do and I hope you're not too upset but the viciousness of some of the replies.

• I clearly misread the post where you said you hadn't been there very long.

There is no harm in trying to negotiate, and don't feel bad about some of the replies on here. The fact that your company doesn't have a policy in place and may not have thought about one for a while could go your way. Or it could go the other way. But don't feel bad about asking - one of the ways that women in general end up earning less than men is because we are not good at asking for bonuses, pay rises, etc. Its always worth asking, even if its not successful.

• Can you not split SMP and maternity leave now? Could your H possibly take some time off with the baby Counter if that's an option at all for you? You'd be entitled to it, you may as well use it if you can.

As for this thread, some of the responses make me sad. This is 2013. Why can't a pregnant woman ask for an enhanced package for maternity leave? Because she's pregnant, a woman, or both? Why do we all just accept SMP of £124 (or whatever the rate is now) a week just because that's what the government dictates we should be 'paid' for doing the rather important 'job' of making a baby and bringing it up for those first and very crucial months of it's life. Mum returns to work soon enough, and 18 years later the government gets another taxpayer that will bring in much more to the treasury than the SMP their mother took out.

I respect Counter's initiative on this, though I would never have thought to ask to be honest because my employer is as tight as a ducks behind!

• For what it's worth, I got pregnant and was offered my company's standard maternity package, which is slightly enhanced from smp but not hugely. My sister, who I work with, accidentally got pregnant 6 months later, and my boss offered her a way way better package as she's a single mum & she was only taking 6 months off as she couldn't afford to take a whole year. Basically it's a small company where my boss values his staff, and he was being nice. I'm pregnant again, and won't be getting the super package, just the standard one. I don't know what the legality of that is, but the policy hasn't been rewritten or changed, it was just something he offered her. I don't see the harm in you asking your company what they could offer, they may say nothing over smp, but it may be that if they've not had someone go on maternity before they've not really thought about it, and may be ok with a better package. Good luck with the asking, I hope it goes well.

• Gosh some of the replies on here seem a little harsh in response to counters question.

Counter I am no expert in this stuff but from what you've posted and whatI I have read re SMP I think you may fid your company won't shift on mat pay as they will meet the statutory requirments. I think the suggestion of negotiating a performance related bonus is a good one, better benifits for you long term and seems like you are performing so have good grounds for opening those sort of discussions.

• Shy bairns get nowt so ask away, but don't be disappointed if they say no.

I think you need to know what plan B is if they do say no and SMP will leave you short. Good luck though.

• Agree with Autumn Rose, what's with all the rude responses to a perfectly reasonable question about enhanced maternity package? The lass can ask for what she wants. And swap jobs when she wants. Crikey!