Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Is this weird?

My MIL is lovely however she likes to get involved. She has reffered to my baby as 'her baby' or 'our baby' quite a few times. Also assumd she will be at the birth, asked to come to the scan etc...

So we found out we are having a little girl, when she found out she was really excited as has all boys and all newphews so no little girls in the family. She said she had waited 24 years for a girl (H her eldest is 24). Last night she tells me she is arranging a Nanny shower for her and her friends. Is this a bit weird? I dont talk to my mum so she has been like my mum for almost 10 years, I thought she may think it a nice idea to arrange me a baby shower, not one for herself. She said i am invited to the nanny shower but I said I would rather not as I dont really know her friends well and think it would be weird.

Opinions? Sorry if it's rambly. I am not even fussed about having a baby shower, I just think that if someone is to have one it should be the babys mum, not the nan.

Replies

• I think that's a bit weird! Being excited is one thing but the 'nanny shower' is a step too far IMO.

• Like BumpEnvy has said its one thing to be excited but a nanny shower?? I have never heard of anyone throwing a nanny shower!! it's very weird IMO!

• Glad i'm not the only one! I knew she'd be ridiculously excited and I expected that but this is too much isn't it. I am seeing her tonight for a bit, should I say something or leave her to it?

• It's more than weird!! That's nuts! My mil is so excited. My h is 33 and an only child. But there is a line and she has well and truly crossed it!! I would tell her that it's yours and your h's baby. You 2 will be the only people at scans and birth. And I would limit what I told her about baby.
  • Nanny shower... Wtf!!!!
  • Very weird. My MIL was super excited. Still is now Annabelle is here but would never do a nanny shower. Its bonkers!!!!
  • Yes, very weird. I think I could overlook the nanny shower and just let her get on with it whilst at the same time pretend it isn't happening.

I couldn't overlook the being at the birth or attending scans!

• Hilarious.  Let her have her fun and make sure you sign up her enthusiasm to lots of baby sitting and nappy changes!

• Definitely a bit OTT, never heard of a nanny shower! I'd explain that you don't want to go as it's not your sort of thing but I'd happily let her have one and get on with it herself.

Would NOT let her at the birth or at scans though, it's not fair (or normal) of her to expect to be there.

You might need your H to step in and calm her down a little bit on that one!
  • Haha, she has already told us that she is the only babysitter and that we have to ask her permission for others to babysit!

• The scan is ok as I told her no and we have had them all now. Saying she will be at the birth I just ignored but I will either say something beforehand or just not tell her when i am in labour lol.

• Yep, sounds odd to me!

• You have to ask her permission to ask someone else to babysit... I am sorry but she sounds like she's taking over a bit and I would have to say something.. I'd let her get on with her nanny shower but the rest I could not ignore!

• Apparently so! We just laughed when she said that as it is just ridiculous.

Thanks guys, atleast I know I am not just being funny about nothing.

• Hmmm Even my H is like wtf lol!... I would get H to say something if he will so it cant sound like your just being difficult or she turns it around on to you :)

• It's super duper wierd however as long as you feel able to set the boundaries about her involvement then let her crack on! It's actually quite sweet how excited she is and you are lucky to have such a loving (if slightly bonkers!) family round you!

• Yes nanny shower is a bit OTT but like others have said just don't be part of it if you don't want to be and let her get on with it and have fun.

I actually think she sounds really sweet and a real asset baby sitting wise.

I think she's just really excited especially if, as you say, she's been like a mum to you for the last 10 years. x
  • As everyone else has said, I'd just let her get on with her nanny shower and giggle about it with H! Plus update us!