Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is your partner a good parent?

2»

Replies

• ML and Chimpanzee, you've both made me well up Weep

• Bridget Gump

ML and Chimpanzee, you've both made me well up Weep

Sorry lol. I cried walking around Next the other day as OH has bought B an amazing bed, I was telling him not to as it was too expensive but his theory is that this new baby is getting a lot more all added together so he felt it right. He took B by the hand and showed him the bed again, I was fighting tears back..damn pregnancy hormones! Tongue Tied

Tomorrow we have B's dad coming down for 4 days, he stays with us, it's unusual and strange but it works for us! :o)

• I'll add, my ex, who C calls Daddy, is fab. I got with him when C was 3, and he took C on, and treated him like his own.

Yesterday, he took C to the zoo, and invited me and J along (he paid for us all), and really spoilt both my boys, even though he isn't C's real Dad. He buys C's uniform, takes him for days out, has father son chats with him, introduces C to people as "my awesome son", he's great. Before I had J, my ex would take C out to give me "me time", spend hours playing xbox or lego. If he ever had his own kids, they will be very lucky children. He'd get up with C in the mornings so I could sleep in, take time off work to see his school plays, parents evening etc. He still comes now. Us splitting up never broke his connection with C. He couldn't be a better Dad. When someone commented on him not being C's real Dad, he said "any d!ck can make a baby. Doesn't make you a Dad. Being there, loving them, raising them makes you a Dad".

My H knows I went out with the ex yesterday BTW... I know some people think it's weird.

• AK, lots of people think my situation is weird. On Friday OH has taken an overtime shift so I am going to go up onto Dartmoor with ex-H and B (OH was meant to come but we need the money, to pay for said bed lol). I will upload photos on fb etc and I know people think we are strange but sod them! :o)

Your ex sounds fab!

• I could not wish for a better dad for mine. To be fair his dad raised him alone from 8 when his mum died so to him it's normal. He is definitely the fun one. I don't have to ask him to anything with either of them. He will play for hours and hours, and will entertain anyone else's kids too! Big S is a daddy's boy for sure but I think it's because I'm the one who has to get him ready in the mornings and therefore probably have to tell him off more.

I do have to nag a lot re housework etc but he'll take the kids out willingly, and also I go off to ride every other evening so he'll be left with little S.

I do think to a certain extent they are what you make them / allow them to be. From day one when I've been home after having either boy I've been up to the stables so he's had to cope!

• Yes H is a fab Dad. He comes home and baths him every night, takes him to nursery, plays with him, reads him books and looks after him when I'm at work. He adores N, he's very hands on.

• Yes, he's a brilliant parent to A, I couldn't have got through the last 6 months without him.  He works offshore so is away for a few weeks at a time, but when he's here he does the cooking, gets up in the night to settle A, does bathtimes, comes swimming.  He plays brilliantly with A, and gets loads of smiles and laughs.

He's not keen on the baby groups, but mainly because they are all mummy ones that we go to so he feels a bit uncomfortable, but he comes with us to the clinic for weigh ins when he's home, and will happily chat to the other mums from the baby groups.

But the thing that sticks out is that he was AMAZING when I was in hospital, sleeping in a chair in the room for 3 days, getting A up every 2 hours for a feed, dealing with Drs, researching mastitis/hyperlactation/staff infections/etc.  It's only thanks to his research and perserverance that we finally got the help we needed with feeding, which is now so much better.

I really couldn't ask for better.

• Chimp and AK - I think that is wonderful. it is so refreshing to see people who have their priorities in line - its about the children, not the demise of the relationship. Your kids will be all the all the happier for it.

• I couldn't ask for a better daddy to my son. My H shares everything with me and also does all the cooking and some of the housework. We both work full time and I couldn't manage without him. Our son adores him and will go to either of us equally if upset. I know I am very lucky and I try to tell him all the time!

• QueenofKelsingra

Chimp and AK - I think that is wonderful. it is so refreshing to see people who have their priorities in line - its about the children, not the demise of the relationship. Your kids will be all the all the happier for it.

Thankyou Queen x x

• Bridget Gump

Ha! H has just informed me that A has been up 3 out of the last 5 nights and I've slept straight through it. Maybe he's even better than I gave him credit for (or is telling a white lie in order to earn some brownie points?)

Your hubby is a smart guy!!!

• Absolutely a wonderful parent. Plays with F so much better than i can and he has such a connection with him that melts my heart daily, changes nappies, gets his changing bag ready, does ALL the cooking and can do housework. Ok I might need to say to him that I need the dummies sterilised or his bath run but then I'm the one with the routine whilst he is at work so in fairness to him he doesn't know what needs done. I have absolutely no hesitation to leave F with him if I need to go out. I can get a lie in whenever I need it (if he isn't away working) and can dress him much quicker than I can!

• My husband is an absolutely amazing parent.  He looked after our little boy from 15 days old till he was 22 days old as I got taken back into hospital.  He also got up and did the night feeds and let me have a lie-in at weekends despite the fact that he works mon-fri.  He does bath time every night and I get to sit down for half an hour and watch soaps or just enjoy a cuppa in peace.  He takes it in turns putting our little boy to bed and he takes him out and about when he is at home.  He also does his fair share of the housework and cooking.  I am one very lucky lady.

• My H isn't the best tbh. Doesn't do bath or bed time. Wil play for a short while but gets bored easily and doesn't really bother too much Tbh. I worry he won't cope if I have to leave E with him! His dad never really did anything with him as a kid, just worked all the time but now they are very close.

I can't moan though, he works hard, is a good provider and wouldn't let E go without anything!

That's a bit against the grain isn't it!