Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

James for a girl

Replies

• Baby Jim. Weep.

Why not Jamie? Reece/Reese? Ashley, Lesley, Charlie?

• CK

Baby Jim. Weep.

Why not Jamie? Reece/Reese? Ashley, Lesley, Charlie?

It's the 'James' bit I love. Not the fact it's a boys name. There's lots of those, but something about James for a girl just sounds so lovely to me. It's not at all masculine in sound (how it's pronounced) to me. 

I know. It seems weird!

• It's just a bit try hard, isn't it? I get you want to be gender neutral but there is gender neutral and then there is making her a boy.

There are plenty of gn names. Alex? Ashley?
  • Makes me think of the Johnny Cash song 'A boy named Sue'!!

im not sure i would have appreciated my parents calling me James and would have shortened it or changed it.

i did meet a man called Jodi once!
  • Oh no, it's not about gender neutral. I really like it. I love Mabel too, which doesn't sound the least bit unisex. It's just about names I like the sound of.

• Would you use James if you have a boy then? How would you feel it a daughter wanted to be called Jaime in later life?

• Well why not use Mabel instead of James or call your son  Mabel instead

• How can a family affect the impact of bullying on a child? They can provide comfort and support at home but if a child is bullied then that is going to impact them regardless of their family.

• Pepperoni

How can a family affect the impact of bullying on a child? They can provide comfort and support at home but if a child is bullied then that is going to impact them regardless of their family.

Framing stuff - family can help kids' confidence and how they react and deal with things outside of the home. Can't influence at all how other kids behave though.

• Tweetie Pie

How would you feel it a daughter wanted to be called Jaime in later life?

Definitely would be out of my hands :)
  • Completely disagee. Bullies are cruel and you have no idea how you're child will react / deal with it until it happens. Severity of the bullying makes the biggest difference, not how children are taught to deal with it.

• Personally I couldn't do it but H's male friend is called Jamie-Leigh and I work with a man called Courtney so there is boys/men out there with girls names.

• Families can also help avoid the bullying by not giving daft names in the first place

• Mrs Claus

Families can also help avoid the bullying by not giving daft names in the first place

Completely agree. 

• I have no strong feelings either way. I think you would make it work if you wanted to.

Isn't Jameson a girl's name? Albeit mainly in America/celeb circles but a bit different to James and less obviously a boys name (on forms etc).

• Amazing how many different approaches to parenting! Really does fascinate me  :)

• I honestly wasn't going to post as I get the feeling that some posts may be posted to spark debate. But to me James is a boys name, there's no 2 ways about it. Yes you want to go down the gender neutral route but in my opinion James is a boys name, not feminine, not slightly girly, but an out and out boys name.

If I seem a girl called James then I'd automatically think 'o her parents wanted a boy', where as the 'made up names' you speak about I feel that whilst they aren't my cup of tea, they aren't trying to change the identity of a girl to a boy iyswim. I also imagine the girl would get sick of explaining her name every day.

I take it you want James for a boy too, which I totally get and for a boys name I think its lovely, but I agree with rusty its all just a bit try hard for a girl.

At the end of the day though its your baby and if you love the name go for it.

• Ducky

I have no strong feelings either way. I think you would make it work if you wanted to.

Isn't Jameson a girl's name? Albeit mainly in America/celeb circles but a bit different to James and less obviously a boys name (on forms etc).

That's nice option actually, missed it completely, thanks! I see from a couple of US forums James is definitely growing in popularity, as a middle name first, but also as a forename. And is very contentious, lol.

• cherry pie
    I honestly wasn't going to post as I get the feeling that some posts may be posted to spark debate. if you love the name go for it.

Thanks for your post. Honest and balanced :) I genuinely didn't post to spark anything though (in case you meant me). Son said it would be mean to call a girl James, hubby said he liked it and could see why I thought it was a nice sounding word and would work for a girl but didn't think it was worth the hassle. But those two spend almost zero time considering baby names so I thought it would be helpful to ask here. And it's definitely helped me make up my mind. It *is* too much hassle!!
  • Is she definitely a girl Counter? For some reason I thought you weren't finding out.