Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

James for a girl

Replies

• No, I wouldn't. I do think it's a nice sounding name actually for a girl - and I remember Rachel in Friends wanting to use it! But to me, it's different from the Brody / Riley - surname type names, it would most definitely be assumed on paper that it's a boy. However, name trends change quickly, so maybe in 10 years there will be lots of girl James' knocking around, who knows.

With the whole debate on choosing a name you love v a name your child will, from my perspective, my parents chose the former - Yvette. It's not out and out absurd, I know, or even crazy unusual, but it caused me loads of hassle growing up, (teased, not bullied, but not nice to deal with), regular inconvenience at work - the number of people who can't understand / spell / pronounce it. And I won't even say my sisters name on here as it is so unusual. When talking during pregnancy to my Mum, I said I wouldn't pick a name that was very different or hard to pronounce / spell, or really out there because of my experience. She was gutted, as to her, she had chosen the most beautiful name for her daughter - she loved it and was so proud to use it, whereas it was important to me, that, yes, we loved our baby's name, but that it wasn't OUR name, it belonged to our child, and must be something that, even if they don't love it, isn't going to cause them any unnecessary trouble or hassle.

• It's not for me, but I don't really like Jamie/Jaime for a girl either. But names come and go, so what is seen as unusual now may be normal in a few years time.

• Lamby

With the whole debate on choosing a name you love v a name your child will, from my perspective, my parents chose the former - Yvette. It's not out and out absurd, I know, or even crazy unusual, but it caused me loads of hassle growing up, (teased, not bullied, but not nice to deal with), regular inconvenience at work - the number of people who can't understand / spell / pronounce it. And I won't even say my sisters name on here as it is so unusual. When talking during pregnancy to my Mum, I said I wouldn't pick a name that was very different or hard to pronounce / spell, or really out there because of my experience. She was gutted, as to her, she had chosen the most beautiful name for her daughter - she loved it and was so proud to use it, whereas it was important to me, that, yes, we loved our baby's name, but that it wasn't OUR name, it belonged to our child, and must be something that, even if they don't love it, isn't going to cause them any unnecessary trouble or hassle.

Agree completely with this. My name *is* a name and not made-up, but it's uncommon in this country, especially with the spelling. I ALWAYS have to spell it out, and nobody can ever pronounce it first time - in fact, I've ended up pronouncing it a different way to the way my family do it, as I much prefer my way. So while I didn't want a name for my child that was too wildly popular so there'd be three or four in his class, we did want something instantly recognisable as a name and easy to spell. Uncommon names are one thing, if they're still a recognisable name, but completely unspellable, unpronounceable, or out-there choices just weren't on the agenda because of my experience.

• I know a girl called Jude. she totally suits it and when I first met her I never thought it was a male name.

but then I also don't like femal names on men- Lindsay etc

• I know a female Kieren and she would be very much in the no camp having had years of the 'isn't that a boys name'

• Some names are unisex and have variations on the spellings. James is definitely a boy's name and not one that I can see a girl thanking you for in the future. You may love it now, but i'm sure having to tell people constantly that James is a girl and getting strange looks will soon take the shine of it. I went to school with a female Jamie and Leigh and was constantly having to say things like "My friend Leigh, the girl ..."

There are so many beautiful girls names you could use, leave that one for the boys.

• You could always use it as a middle name without risking teasing.

• It's definitely a boy's name for me too. I wouldn't want to subject a child to any potential teasing/bullying due to their name.

• Personally I'm not a huge fan of many unisex names anyway, but to be brutally honest if I met a girl called James I'd suspect her parents were being different for the sake of being different, much like people who choose some random name or spelling.  I'd presume something of a 'wannabe' celebrity. I see that you like strong names so presume that's not the impression you are aiming for?

As for bullying, kids will bully for anything (ethan just asked for a new coat as he was being picked on over his George pig one) - you can support them as much as you like for it, but why would you make the choice to put them in the line of fire? Personally I'd consider it a bit cruel. I have enough frustration explaining that ethan is no relation to hawke and Florence to the machine, I can just imagine myself having to explain to everyone I met 'yes it is interesting, I chose it because its strong'. Sorry

• Lamby

Lamby that's a real shame. I've always liked your name. It seems to me to be a prettier version of some names that are similar. 

I wonder how many of us wish we'd had something different given to us as an name. I spent years using awkward variants of my name. My mum was upset like yours, she thought it was beautiful and didnt see why I was miffed! My sister has a very regular, very pretty name but she hated it for a few years. 

• Spikey - I think you're right. I think I might shove it in there as a contender for a middle name!!

• Another no here I'm afraid, and I love female versions of male names.

Iirc you're expecting your baby to grow into a tall/large frame? If so, I'm sorry but a masculine name would suit even less.

Jaime is lovely, similar sounding but different enough from James.

• Mrs Claus

Families can also help avoid the bullying by not giving daft names in the first place

I totally agree. 

It's a boys name, she'll spend her whole life with people assuming she's a he. Use Jamie if you have to.

• It's their name, not yours. They have to live with it and I believe they WILL get picked on because of it.

Agree with Rusty that it's all a bit try hard for me.

• James is a boys name. And personally  I think it would be cruel to give a girl a name like that.

• but then I also don't like femal names on men- Lindsay etc

Argh, Lindsay is a male name originally (well, a surname actually, but a male given name from the 18th century and only became a female name after an actress born in the 40s was named Lindsay).  Ashley was also a male name from a surname but because of a female character having the name on a soap opera in the 80s it was a fad name for girls in the 90s and is now considered a girls name.

I wouldn't be surprised if James went the same way eventually, but it would take a catalyst to start loads of people naming their daughters James for it to really be seen as a unisex or feminine name, and if that does happen you would end up with a fad name.  It sounds like you're not in the market for a fad name, Counter.

I wouldn't go with James for a girl out of personal preference.  Did you see that someone asked if you would name a boy James?  If you like the sound of the name and your baby ends up male then perfect!  No controversy and a name you love.  

Oh, and on the point of bullying, there is only so much you can do to help and support a bullied child.  Yes bullies will always manage to find something to use against someone, but why make your child an easy target?

• Going to be blunt here, but it's my opinion:

Calling a little girl James is just cruel.

• Counter

Lamby that's a real shame. I've always liked your name. It seems to me to be a prettier version of some names that are similar. 

I wonder how many of us wish we'd had something different given to us as an name. I spent years using awkward variants of my name. My mum was upset like yours, she thought it was beautiful and didnt see why I was miffed! My sister has a very regular, very pretty name but she hated it for a few years. 

Ah, thank you, that is very kind!

Yes, I'm sure most people at one time or another wished they'd been given a different name, at least when younger. I remember my friend and I asking our parents to call us something else once when we were about 9, so rude!
  • James ia a boy's name to me, how about Jaime? I see that as a completely unisex name and especially as there are different male and female spellings.

• lady_laura_lou

Mrs Claus

Families can also help avoid the bullying by not giving daft names in the first place

I totally agree. 

It's a boys name, she'll spend her whole life with people assuming she's a he. Use Jamie if you have to.

daft names are subjective. I'm sure plenty of people (on here included) think my children's names are daft, whereas I think they are ace.

that said, and I usually sit on the less sedate side of the fence when it comes to names, James IMHO is a boys name. I immediately thought of the friends episode with Rachel, and then of the model James King, who incidentally changed her name back to Jaime (James was a nickname given to her by her parents...)