Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Leg cramps

I know these are common in pregnancy but is it normal for the area to painful for a couple of days after?

I got cramp in my calf early hours of Wednesday morning and it still hurts now. I tried massaging it and taking a long bath but nothing has helped. Any ideas on how to get rid of the pain oh wise ladies?!

Replies

• Options

Ooh I remember these, awful things.  Yes, if I had a particularly painful one then it would hurt me for a couple of days afterwards.  No idea how to get rid of the pain.

• Options

god i never realised how annoying cramp can be . i get in when i really stretch (normally when im half asleep in the night) :(

• Options

Gah it's so painful when I walk. Pregnancy is fun..

• Options

I too have been suffering which leg cramps woke up screaming in pain a few nights ago poor h got a real fright! The achyness does seem to be lingering... Have you tried a hot water bottle to the area? I have been putting mine down to the awkward walking due to my hips making my muscles be used in an odd way.

• Options

Yeah all normal! I used to really suffer with them in my calves when I was 16 (turns out drinking orange VKs brought it on, potassium or something?!) anyway they were agony and sore for days. Ways iv found to help are to keep bringing your toes up, like the opposite of pointing your toes and lift ankle upwards. Stretches the muscle in the right way. Warm baths help and legs being cold doesnt x

• Options

I hated these, haven;t had any for a few weeks now *touch wood* but when I did have a particularly bad one it was definitely uncomfortable for a few days after.

• Options

Found this...

Many pregnant women wake up to painful leg cramps in the middle of the night. Some experts think cramps are caused by the weight increase brought on by pregnancy, while others believe they are due to an excess of phosphorus or a shortage of calcium or potassium. Here are some tips to help you avoid them i

Instructions to avoid cramp

Stretch your legs a few times a day, especially before bedtime.

Rotate your ankles and wiggle your toes to increase circulation.

Resist pointing your toes as you crawl into bed.

Avoid crossing your legs or standing for long periods of time.

Eat potassium-rich foods such as bananas.

Eat calcium-rich foods such as dairy products, fish with bones (salmon or sardines), green leafy vegetables, almonds and tofu.

Reduce your intake of phosphorus-rich foods such as soft drinks, processed meats and snack foods: