Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Maternity Notes - Relation to Brim

Is this the same as engaged? 

Just had my 36 week MW appointment and when she was feeling baby's position I asked when it should start engaging and she said about now. She then made a comment about baby sticking out at one side and I said that I often get the bum stick out there and in my ribs. H said 'well at least we hope it's the bum and not the head' and she said 'No, baby's head is well down'. She then finished off the appointment by saying that she'd see me at 38 weeks if I hadn't had my baby by then! She also went through loads of birth stuff and kept making the point that if baby is coming before 37 weeks they won't have me on the birthing unit (MW led) even if I was 36+6. When we got in the car I looked in my notes and in the column where it says 'Relation to brim' she's written 4/5! Does this mean baby is 4/5 engaged? Now wondering if she knows something I don't!! 

Replies

• Options

I think it means they can feel 4/5 of the babies head above your pelvis. Then it'll be 3/5, 2/5 etc, until it's completely engaged.

• Options

WLLLS.

Even if you do get to 2/5 or 3/5 engaged, it can pop out and doesn't mean you'll go into labour any time soon (I was 3/5 engaged at about 34/35 weeks and MW hinted that I should be prepared, but ended up a few days overdue)

• Options

Thanks LLL. I always thought it was the other way round. I wasn't panicked, but then thought maybe it was coming sooner than expected. Have also just googled it and it does say what you said that it means 4/5 of the babies head can be felt. At least now my H will stop running round the house shouting 'the baby's coming' !!!

• Options

Thanks DD. As I said in my other reply, I wasn't worried, just wondered if she knew something I didn't!! From the start of the pregnancy I've had the feeling baby will come at 37 weeks like I did, now I'm convinced I'll be overdue!

• Options

Don't be too complacent though, J was only ever 4/5 engaged, even when I went into labour!

• Options

I do think its the proportion felt, I noticed on my notes the MW had written under the engaged column 4/5 when i saw her at 29 weeks,