Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Maternity pay - confused!

Sorry to sound stupid... 

can anyone explain this? 

Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)
To qualify for SMP you must: have worked for your employer continuously for at least 26 weeks up to the 15th week before the expected week of childbirth - known as the ‘qualifying week’

For example - If I started a new job tomorrow, how long would you have to work before falling pregnant to qualify? I know that sounds awful like I'm just doing it for the maternity pay but thinking of starting a new job but don't want to if it will stop us TTC number 2 around Xmas time. 

Replies

• Options

You need to have been employed for 26 weeks by the time you're 25 weeks pregnant, I think.

I was 4 weeks pregnant when I started my job so misse out on SMP but was entitled to maternity allowance which is the same amount (apart from the first 6 weeks @90%) and is paid by the government rather than directly from your employer.

• Options

26 + 15 = 41 so you would have to be in your job for one week before falling pregnant I believe? Though I'm not sure if that's one week before conception, or LMP, or date you find out. Either way if you wait one month there is no question.

• Options

Your due date is at 40 weeks, so work back from that.

15 weeks before due date would make you 25 weeks pregnant.

So by the time you are 25 weeks pregnant you need to have worked there for 26 weeks.  

Bear in mind that conception is actually when you are 2 weeks pregnant as 0 weeks is date of your last period. If that makes sense.

So if it was a major concern I would Ttc 4 weeks after starting a new job just to know I was covered date wise.

Don't know if I've explained that very well!

• Options

Thanks all, perfect. I was being dumb!

I was reading it wrong!