Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Moving to their own room - how old? How did you find it?

We're trying H in his own room tonight for the first time at 6 months as we think he's outgrown the Moses basket and we don't have room for a cot in our room.

but I feel so lost without him and so far haven't been able to sleep for missing him which is stupid I know but he just seems so small in his cot. Is this normal???  my little boy should still be with me, how is he old enough for his own room???

did anyone else feel like this when you moved lo?

Replies

• Oh I remember it well! I was awake most of the night checking both our room doors hadn't magically closed by themselves and checking the monitor was working, and checking she was breathing despite having a motion sensor pad under the mattress. It felt like I'd abandoned my little baby by leaving her alone in her own room.

You soon get used to it though and actually started sleeping well for first time in months (me, not her, shed always been a good sleeper)

Hope it went ok and you got some sleep LM x

• I didn't move N until he was 10 months and I hated the first few nights. We were only a few metres from each other and had both doors wide open so I could still hear him shuffling about. You get used to it but if I'm up in the night I still go and check on him and he's 4! If and when we move A she will go in with N so I won't feel like I'm abandoning her so much.

• We moved him at 7 months at H's demand. He was about 5 metres further away from me but I dreaded it and probably would have waited longer. But, it was fine, I didn't even bother with the monitor on night 2 as it was clear I could hear him fine when he called me in for a feed a couple of times a night.

• A was 7 months and L a year. I moved A because she was sleeping well and we wanted some of our bedroom space back, to be able to read/watch tv in bed. L was later because he is such a rubbish sleeper and in with us every night a way so seemed daft to have to walk further.

• We moved C a few days before he was 6 months, it was nice to have our bedroom back to ourselves, but also felt weird with him being the other end of the house.

• Just short of 6m I moved him. He'd been napping in his cot in his room for about a month before hand though. The first night was a bit unsettled (no more so than he was when he was next to me, but it was more the effort of me getting up that I found hard!) but it got progressively easier and I'm glad I did it when I did, and not when he was older and more aware IYSWIM?! I was ready for the move, we were disturbing each other and I hadn't shared a bed with H for 4months because if his snoring, so our relationship was struggling somewhat. He began STTN at 7.5m and continues to do so Smile

• And another one who doesn't use a monitor. I can hear him well enough and found I was jumping up at every whimper with the monitor on, which wasn't doing him any favours as he wasn't learning to go back to sleep by himself.

• We moved E at 28 weeks,  and she slept through which she'd not done for a few weeks so it was definitely good for her and definitely time.

I too feel very sad and as stupid as it sounds,  lonely without her!  I'm constantly checking haha but she sleeps so much better it was definitely right for her.

• Glad it's not just me who feels lonely without them, I feel daft! But it's the longest I've ever been away from him iykwim.

I'm hoping it helps his sleep and we don't have room for him in his cot with us so I guess I will have to get used to it. He did sleep better last night only waking twice so fingers crossed. It just signifies my little baby is not so much a baby anymore :(

Once I get used to it and hopefully if his sleep improves I think it will be good - me and Big H can get some time together, use the ensuite etc without fear of disturbing him.  It just feels such a big step! I didn't sleep a wink last night just invade he needed me - madness!

• We moved O at 5.5 months as he had outgrown the Moses basket. I hated it at first and was checking on him every time I woke up during the night. L is 7 months tomorrow and is still in our room as the nursery is a tip.