Forum home› Pregnancy› Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Name inspiration - where did you go?

I'm not good with modern names, and there are some names which we avoid because we know so many with that name already.

I might spend some time with our bookshelves looking at character names etc. Maybe look at the character list of our most favourite movies, old and new.

Just wondered what other people did for inspiration?

Replies

• American rock stars...

I read C's name in a rock music magazine, and noted it down. It was the meaning that won it for me though. I heard J's name around the same time, but didn't use it for C, as the band he was from were quick popular at the time.

Also, once a film was finished, i'd leave it running, to read the names in the credits. There were some amazing names I had never heard of.

• Reading the end credits of movies, TV shows etc.  Listening out in the supermarket, that sort of thing.   As you will see from posts on here, choosing names can be very difficult!

• Nymbler and Nameberry are both good sites. Also the office of national statistics has a spreadsheet you can download for each year which lists every name used so long as 2 or more children were named it in that year.

• They aren't helping you though, are they BG!?  Laugh

• The names that were top of our lists were from a couple of TV shows, plus I did look on various websites to get other ideas and make sure there wasn't anything else we liked.

• Credits on tv and films. I'm so addicted to reading them I find myself reading them on series every week even though the names are the same every week!

Nymbler is good.

My brother in law liked old or traditional names so they used to wander round grave yards looking at the headstones!!

• They've been useful, but not helped us in the way I'd hoped, no Laugh

• TV! You hear things and try them on for size and see if you like it. My Dad heard my name in a pub a few days before I was born and my sister's name was screeched in M&S at a naughty little girl and they decided they liked it.

• My son's name is the surname of a girl I was mates with at primary school, I liked a shortened version of it for a nickname. We had 3, and one was to call him George after George Dawes and he says he wishes we had gone for that one!

• **jellytot**

Nymbler is good.

Not AT ALL addictive. (I have only blocked about a thousand names so far, and have one in the like column, ha ha)

**jellytot**

My brother in law liked old or traditional names so they used to wander round grave yards looking at the headstones!!

YES!! I love really old traditional names. Really old. I'm a bit sweet on Edgar at the mo...

• Family, both the names we have are names of relatives. Its more of a coincidence that they have names we like though!

• I/we named our son after the nicest boy i could think of - Christopher Robin! He's now 2 years old and is the loveliest little boy in the world so it certainly suits him!

• Nameberry is my favourite name website.

• IDC - H's step dad's name is Christopher Robin Surname, although he goes by Robin day to day.

• Lol. We only used the first name, lol. He loves Superman, so when he is bigger we shall say its after Christopher reeve, lol

• Abnormal Kitty

Also, once a film was finished, i'd leave it running, to read the names in the credits. There were some amazing names I had never heard of.

This is exactly what I did with almost all tv shows & movies. We had a girls name chosen before we even started trying but boys names were harder. Now we've started TTC again I've found myself watching the credits again...!