Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

NCT First Aid baby course

Has anyone been? Is it only for pregnant people? We're in the process of adopting so won't have a newborn but hopefully will have a older baby or toddler but I would like to do some basic first aid. Don't know if I'd be welcome though.

Replies

• I didn't do the NCT one, but did do a Red Cross one. It was very suitable for babies and toddlers, showed procedures for newborns and slightly older children, so may be suitable for you. There were a few nannies and childminders there doing it as a refresher course, so it's quite wide-ranging.

• My H and I did the NCT first aid evening course earlier this year. It definitely wasn't just for pregnant people - there was a real variety of people there. I found it really useful as a guide to basic first aid. It covered amongst other things resuscitation techniques, dealing with choking, burns, fever etc. it also distinguished between (and covered both) first aid techniques for babies and for older children which was useful too.

• I did one a couple of weekends ago, and was the only pregnant person there, the rest had babies or toddlers. I found it really useful, I've done first aid courses before but this one was geared specifically to babies and children, and refreshed what I knew already. You'd be very welcome at one, and it'd be just as useful for toddlers as babies.

• I saw SG post about going on one, so we did one (myself, husband and son) last night, not NCT but a qualified full-time instructor. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. I never did it with my son, and he's fine! But I feel more confident and capable of trying to act if faced with an emergency.

• Thanks guys. The bloke who runs my local one has said I'd be more than welcome so I'm going to book it. I'm perfectly comfortable with not being pregnant but didn't want it to be clicky if that makes sense.

• There weren't any pregnant people (that I could see) that were at the NCT first aid course I went to. I found it really informative & useful. My hubby also went to 1 on a different date & thought it was useful

• Im not sure where you're based but most courses wouldnt just be for pregnant women! I strongly believe that everyone should be trained - its better to know it and not need it than to need it and not know it! 

I did my course through the agency that I found my nanny Little Ones - it was great it was only one day and was very thorough! And they run them regularly too! 

https://www.littleoneslondon.co.uk/first-aid-courses - here's a link if anyone is interested!