Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Perineal Massage - Who did it and did it help?

Replies

• Options

We didn't do it last time with B but I tore so am considering having a go this time. I can just about reach in teh bath at the moment but OH will need to take over..as well as shaving :/

• Options

Did it religiously with my first pregnancy, ended up being induced and had forceps delivery. Not sure what difference it would have made if I had a problem free labour

• Options

I am hoping to try and have bought the oil, but I can't reach...!

• Options

it really isnt as easy as it looks is it?

• Options

Especially not at 36 weeks. Hubby is going to have to do it I think!!

• Options

Doesn't seem worth it to me. I have been told a million times the best way to avoid tearing is if the midwife tells you to stop pushing STOP!

This might be of interest

www.scienceandsensibility.org  There is info in here of studies and stats.

• Options

Not you and your gooch again ;) ha ha!!

• Options

OB you love my Gooch

• Options

I've never done it. I had an episiotomy with A due to forceps. Didn't need stitches with L and hoping to avoid this time as well!

• Options

I did, waste of time for me!!

• Options

I didn't bother and didn't get so much as a graze. Not sure what that says about me though haha!!

• Options

I did it, H did it for me towards the end. No tearing here. Though I delivered on my side with H supporting one of my legs which according to my MW was the optimum position for minimising tearing.

• Options

Oh stripey that's how I gave birth too and had no tearing. Interesting. I didn't do it because I thought it was an optimum position just the most comfy. x

• Options

We learnt about this last night at NCT. She recomended using Olive Oil!

• Options

It was on suggestion of the midwife that I moved into that position just before E crowned. I had been on my knees clinging onto the headboard but was struggling to support myself I was so tired! I remember her saying why don't I try lying on my side, as it will help me 'rest' and I'd be less likely to tear. Win win I thought!

If anyone is interested, Google 'Left lateral birthing position'.

• Options

i will google this for sure!

• Options

Oh this sounds like somethig I will look into! Nice one stripey one.

• Options

Yep exactly what I did perhaps my body just 'knew' it was definitely the position I felt least pain in