Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Please tell me this is just a phase...

For a while now F (nearly 11 months) has absolutely hated getting dressed and having his nappy changed but for the last few days it's been terrible. I've just had a right battle getting him dressed after his bath this morning and yesterday, at a friend's house, their teenage daughter had to help hold him down whilst I changed his nappy as quick as I could. He kicks, tries to roll over and crawl away, screams, etc. I know that he just loves to pull himself up on things and stand up now but it's wearing me down. I'm dreading taking him swimming for the new term next week as I know I'm going to really struggle to get him dry and dressed afterwards.

I keep telling myself this is just a phase and that things will improve. Am I right? Any tips on how to deal with this?

Replies

• Yup completely normal, and a phase. Easiest way we found to deal with it was to distract with food and work as quickly as possible! Hope it passes soon for you xx

• We've had this phase too. If it help A was always better when out than at home. I hated this stage, and often left him longer than I would normally have done between changes because  of it.

• I usually try to distract him with toys and anything else I can lay my hands on. Haven't tried food though so I might give that a go! I'm glad to hear it's nor just him though.

• Is he big enough for pull up pants, I used these after swimming rather than wrestle him on the wet floor after we were dry.  It will pass, promise x

• Yes it is a phase. I ended up getting a rabbitt changing mat that has a harness in it as was getting so wound up by it all

• Wg i was going to come on and ask similar! P is going through the exact same stage and it's a nightmare. Have to say i'm dreading getting her dressed and changing her at the moment, have been delegating to H whilst he's been off over Christmas. That actually results in more screaming as he's slower than me at doing it but at least it's not me doing it as i've very nearly lost it a couple of times. Last night after her bath she went absolutely rigid and screamed her head off whilst i attempted to dry and dress her. She is better not at home.

I hope this phase is over quickly!!

• Well, seeing as it looks like a phase, I'm hoping it passes rather soon! It's a nightmare. I'm liking the changing mat harness idea!

• If its a phase it can be a blooming long one! J is still 50/50 whether he is like that at just over 2 - he is an angel with his CM and grandparents doing it but with me and H  he just doesn't seem to have the time to lay down and have it done. More often then not we change him standing up while he is playing or reading

• L hated her nappy being changed for a long time. In fact, I used to be able to wrestle a nappy on her mid crawl. I think it got better not long after she started walking. A is just entering the hating getting dressed stage, but isn't too bad with nappy changes just yet. He's usually distracted by L.