Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Swimming at 8 months pregnant?

This is probably the most stupid questions ever, but is there any reason I should stop swimming? At what point?

I was swimming alomg today and suddenly wondered what would happen if my waters went? Would I know???

Told you it was a dumbass question! 

Replies

• Swimming late in my pregnancy was my biggest relief - meant for half an hour I didn't have pressure on my bladder! My waters didn't go whilst swimming but when they did go I really did know about it and there was no way I could have missed it!

• Thanks QI, I love swimming too as I feel so weightless and it really helps my back and pelvis pain.

Dumb question . How long does it take for the waters to come out?

• My waters started leaking no big gush, if id been swimming when they had started I wouldn't have known. But they carried on leaking for a good few hours so would've noticed when I'd got out.
  • Thanks mrs B, I guess I should maybe start carrying some maternity pads around just in case that happens.

• Swimming is so lovely when you're heavily pregnant. I loved feeling weightless. My waters went with a little pop and then trickled for a good 24 hours so like MrsB said, you'd notice it when you got out. I think I'd have noticed the little pop but obviously wouldn't have known what it was as it was my first time!

• Thanks popcorn.

By the sounds of it I need to stop worrying about it.

It's funny where my mind wanders sometimes!

• My waters went all at once, no leaking afterwards, but then they went with the sac coming out at the same time with the waters still inside. Not the experience most people have! Dr google tells me 86% of people go into labour before the waters break, I think it's v unusual to have the whole waters go at once in a massive rush without warning. Unless you're in a film/tv show of course, in which case it always happens that way!

• Thanks SG, that's interesting to hear.

I think I'll carry on for as long as I can then.

The lifeguards always look terrified when I waddle out to the pool, who knows how they'll be in a few more weeks when I'm even bigger!

• I did aquanatal until I was 38 weeks, it was the best hour of my week! My waters went with a pop and a gush but then continued to trickle afterwards every time I moved until I was in the birthing pool. They didn't go until I'd had 35 hours of contractions though so there was no chance of me swimming at that point!

• Mine started leaking as I was walking to the bathroom to go in the shower got work. I have to confess I was horrified at first and thought it was wee and that I no longer had the bladder control to make it to the loo of a morning! I had literally just made it to the tiled floor and it seriously was like someone turning on a tap, my pj bottoms were absolutely soaked through and there's was a puddle on the floor.

What I didn't realise was that a) there was much water as that and b) it would keep coming!!

I got washed and changed and by the time I had put a pair of trousers on (and a maternity pad) I had another gush which kept leaking and soaked through my pad, knickers and trousers. I was on my third change of clothes by the time I got in the car. I took a maternity mat thing to sit on in the car but they seemed to stop and then when I was walking into the maternity unit we had more! They continued to leak, albeit in a controllable amount, right up to taking me to theatre.

If it's anything like my experience, even if they go in the pool, you'll know afterwards!

• Thanks both. I'm glad to hear I'll "know" when my waters go, I've clearly just seen too many movies!